5c collet set

All this talk about 1/64" 5C sets, I broke down and purchased a set of used Hardinge 5C collets. Appears to be in pretty good condition. I have been using collets more and more since I purchased my 5C scroll chuck two years ago so between that and this thread I figured I would jump in with both feet.

Thanks guys. Thanks for helping me lighten my pockets a bit more.

Mike.

Hey! Turn-about it fair play you know. You and your posts about your lathe and mill helped 'lighten' my wallet considerably. ;) :D

All this talk about 1/64" 5C sets, I broke down and purchased a set of used Hardinge 5C collets. Appears to be in pretty good condition. I have been using collets more and more since I purchased my 5C scroll chuck two years ago so between that and this thread I figured I would jump in with both feet.

Thanks guys. Thanks for helping me lighten my pockets a bit more.

Mike.
Congrats Mike. I use my collet chuck a lot and it is great to have the set by 64ths. You can then find a fit when you need it.

The collet chuck is great for chucking threaded ends. The only sure way I have found to chuck threaded material without harming the threads. That said, again the 64ths will come in mighty handy.

Mike do you have collet blocks for in the mill?

Yes, I have a hexagonal and a square collet block. I use them quite frequently but I did notice the last two times I had to alter my sequence on machining because I did not have the appropriate size 5C collet. I think I remedied that now.

Any suggestion where to buy a 5c scroll chuck

I purchased a Lathe master brand set-tru scroll chuck off of ebay about a year or so ago and have been very pleased with it.

Mike

All of this talk about 5C collets, I finally broke down last week and purchased a nice high quality used set. I found a full set of used Hardinge collets online that are in very good condition.

After they showed up on Friday, I unpackaged them and cleaned them and placed them in their new home right next to my lathe.
b3bb5e30364a2b9128d2db1f65f237d6.jpg

Thanks for making my wallet lighter everyone.lol

Mike

Nice catch Mike.

I really like the labeled holder. My racks are not labeled and make it a pain to get them back in order when I have had several out using them.

In addition, the Hardinge have the sizes engraved on them vs. etched. A touchdown of some Scotch-Brite on an etched collet removes the size marking pretty quick!

Nice catch Mike.

I really like the labeled holder. My racks are not labeled and make it a pain to get them back in order when I have had several out using them.

In addition, the Hardinge have the sizes engraved on them vs. etched. A touchdown of some Scotch-Brite on an etched collet removes the size marking pretty quick!

Thanks Alan. They are in really great shape. All are Hardinge with the exception of 4 of them that are Neal Skokie. A couple of them have slight markings on the face of the collet but overall a great score, although I didn't steal them by any means.

As for the labeled stands, they are not as nice as the knee drawer/cart that Paco (firestopper) fabricated but nicer than the stamped steel ones that are everywhere. These are composite and will work perfect.

Thanks.

Mike

Back