5913 Carriage Stop & power feed Q?

bearzbear

Registered
Registered
Simple question.
I don't know.
Looked at the parts diagram, can't decide what I see. Never took it apart.

Q: DOES the power feed have a CLUTCH, so that when it hits the installed STOP,
it doesn't crash the thing?

Simple enough. :rolleyes:

Thanks

I believe yes it has a clutch but I don't believe it's intended to protect completely against damage in the case of a crash. Minimize it perhaps
-Mark

I don't know for certain, but in general I would say No and put the probability of being correct at 99.99%. In order to mechanically sense that one had run into a mechanical stop, something has to move a reasonable distance after hitting the stop in order to sense that one has sure enough hit the stop. In the meantime, bad things are happening elsewhere.

The answer is no, it can damage the machine if it hits while the power feed is engaged.
16174018414233972022999654465651.jpg

They did make an Automatic Kick Out as well. I'd like to find one them, myself.
16174020184213423604703247097335.jpg

The answer is no, it can damage the machine if it hits while the power feed is engaged.

They did make an Automatic Kick Out as well. I'd like to find one them, myself.
View attachment 361508

General purpose comment: The purpose of a clutch is to release or slip when the torque exceeds the clutch's threshold.
Otoh, some clutches are only for the positive transmission of power. Two types...

Anyhow, one could just make that automatic kick-out?
Not sure it is precise enough to stop at an exact position, but likely ok to prevent wrecking something?

Never saw that item before! Tnx.

The 5913 has a clutch kick-out that can be set but I think otherwise the clutch is just for engaging and disengaging the spindle while the motor continues running. The manual does say hitting stops can cause damage. I haven’t tested my clutch kick-out to see how repeatable the carriage position is when using it.

The 5913 has a clutch kick-out that can be set but I think otherwise the clutch is just for engaging and disengaging the spindle while the motor continues running. The manual does say hitting stops can cause damage. I haven’t tested my clutch kick-out to see how repeatable the carriage position is when using it.

Ok, well that is confusing.

Do you have the item shown in the catalog?

I was speaking of the mechanism in the carriage, not the large clutch that puts power to the spindle.
From what I could see of that catalog item, it wants to flip the bar that on the 5913 does the job
of engaging the power to the spindle, at the mid point of the Reeves system... on mine that's got a nice
big far handle that I grab and pull up or down...

It may be that what I see in the diagram is driving the crossfeed, not the main carriage feed?
It's been a while since I looked at the diagrams, so my memory is slightly fuzzy.

_-_-bear

If you want to use it, set it before the 'crash', and feed the rest of the way by hand.

Yes the clutch kick out directly acts on the same bar that the big handle moves, to disengage the countershaft clutch above the reeves drive.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Back