5052 Alloy Aluminum

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Has anyone had experience with 5052 Alloy Aluminum? I have a chance to get a piece .500 X 24 X 24. I am thinking of using it for the Die-Filer Table.

"Billy G"

Bill,wouldn't aluminum soon become permanently gritty from embedded steel particles? Perhaps requiring re facing in the lathe?

I have one of those "Lathe Accessories" die filer kits in cast iron. I don't need one,of course,but the guy's kits are so artistically designed I couldn't resist.

I am having the table hard anodized George. I don't expect any problems.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill. I just got off the phone with the anodizer and was told it will stand up to the task when Hard Anodized. We are good to go. I paid a case of beer for the 5052.

"Billy G"

It may work OK if hard anodized, never tried that. I normally don't like aluminum for any machine table, too sticky. The work doesn't slide on aluminum like cast iron.

The hard anodized surface is quite hard. Also it closes the pores and allows things to slide on the surface much better than raw aluminum.

There is a big difference between Hard and Soft Anodizing. Soft will not do anything but color mand light protect. Hard is just that, it hardens the surface. If it does not work all I have lost is time and a case of beer. Neither is very important to me.

"Billy G"

That alloy is used extensively in the marine industry due to it's resistance to corrosion in salt water, I have made parts for boats with it in the past, It machines much like 6061 but a bit softer and is more prone to stringier chips in lathe ops, it anodizes well.

Holy Crap! That's some hunk of awesome aluminum for a case of beer!!!! WOW!
Must have been some good beer!

hah hah

Bernie

Back