5 inch mill drill vice

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
well im looking for a vice for my old jet jmd 18mill drill in the 5 inch size that wont break the bank ive looked for a used kurt but haven't had luck finding anything that wasn't beat to hell ive been looking at some cnc clones on ebay for around 100 bucks looked at a glacern but its a bit more then I wanted to spend especially since everytime I check his prices seem to have gone up I was wondering if anyone has experience with the shars 550 v or any of there v series that are supposed to be built better any and all opinions and pics welcome :thumbsup:

I bought an Enco 5" Kurt style knock-off a few years back. Has worked just fine. As I recall it was about $100. Don't know the current price. Can't comment o the Shars product as I don't own one.

Tom S.

I also looked for used 5" Kurt but like you all I found were beat looking. And if I did find a nice one it cost more than a 6", not surprised since they don't make them anymore. I have a 5" Glacern & I'm pretty happy with it but I got it on sale during one of the holiday specials. Check out Homge vises, they're pretty nice & I haven't heard any bad things about them.

I looked at the homge looks nice but I cant seem to find a dealer in the us do you know of anyone ?

thank you ive been looking at the vertrex aswell but have only found 6 inch or the drill style on ebay the search continues :thumbsup:

Re: 5 inch mill drill vice---check out the 5" Interstate from Enco

I bought this vise(Interstate 510-2299 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=416&PARTPG=INLMK32 ) and love it. Got it for 20% off the $251 price and free shipping so $200 to my door(weighs just under 70lbs so it shipped free). The promotion at Enco now is 15% off plus free shipping so thats a little over $210 to your door. A few pics of it on my ubiquitous mill/drill(Rong Fu clone) with the vise on the table below. I think the 5" is the max size this mill/drill can handle but I'm happy I got it over a 4". It has the Kurt style angle lock design.

Brian

first pic jaws just cracked open, really nicely parallel

f45947fe-002b-45b3-a466-4ab8e8f90d1a_zpsc04e19b9.jpg

front view for retative size on table

IMG_6088_zpsec15ae03.jpg

side view for size and gratuitous shot of my Atlas 12x36 sitting on a beefy Logan stand

IMG_6089_zps30347b88.jpg

That Interstate does look nice.

nice looking vise I also noticed they have this 5 cnc style on sale anyone use one of these style any plus or minuses http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/47311-interstate-milling-manual-machine-vises.htm

I've never used one & don't know what the difference is but keep in mind you'll have to use clamps to hold down that vise & you won't be able to easily bolt on a swivel base if you use them. But you'll have more adjustability on placement on the table. I personally don't use swivel bases but I do have a 4" vise w/ swivel base that I got free with my mill in case I do need one someday. Haven't took it out of the box since I inspected it.

calstar does that interstate vise have any kind of warranty ?

Back