5/8 Inch 8 Tpi Square Tap

yooper

Registered
Registered
5/8 inch 8 tpi square tap or modified tap. any one know where I could find one? I need to make a new cross feed nut for a Hamilton lathe. Any help would be appreciated --- Rick

Are you sure its a square thread?. That is a standard acme size I believe. You could always single point it on the lathe itself. You need to know exactly what type of thread it is before you can buy a tap. And even acme taps are pretty expensive.

Thanks, I have a 5/8 x 8 right hand acme tap, but its not acme. I also thought about it being left hand but it is a right hand thread. The 5/8 x 8 acme wont work. I used an acme thread gage and its not a true acme. Then I checked with an older machinist who was in the business since being in the navy in WWII and he said it was probably a modified thread, just by looking at it. Thanks for the help , I will keep looking

If you have a follower rest for your lathe make you a new cross feed screw with an Acme thread. Then you could make a nut nut to fit the new thread.

Most Acme threaded taps out there for sale as new will not cut a thread with a close fit as needed for a cross feed screw. That's why most of us out here single point threads so we get that close fit needed.

I highly doubt you will find a new square threaded tap, even one with a modified thread. I have some OLD square thread taps, but nothing to fit what you need.

Making a new cross feed screw was going to be my next choice. I think I will try that seeing that I already have the acme tap.

Thanks for all the replies

Rick

if you were so inclined, you could turn your own tap from medium carbon or tool steel and harden it pretty easily.

i recently made a set of wood taps (in 60* v thread) from mild steel 12L14 hex
you could do the same in med carbon (1040,4130) or (01 or W1) tool steels ;)

Back