4Jaw face-lift

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I've decided to give my 12' 4jaw independent rusty chuck a bit of a face-lift today. I only took off about 0.005" on the face and OD.
20180928_143327.jpg
20180928_151648.jpg
20181001_081916.jpg
20181001_083426.jpg
I just don't know why I have never noticed the T-slots on the chuck,and for the life of me I can not think of a way you can use it seeing that this is an independent jaw chuck. If someone can give some ideas on when it would be suitable to use the slots instead of jaws,that would be great. I have a feeling I am going to kick myself when the responses come in.

Michael

I just watched a video by Joe Pieczynski where he drilled holes in his three jaw for mounting standoffs for creating precision parallel surfaces. The standoffs were mounted to the chuck and faced to the proper height for a second facing operation. The Tee slots would accomplish the same thing.

I just watched a video by Joe Pieczynski where he drilled holes in his three jaw for mounting standoffs for creating precision parallel surfaces. The standoffs were mounted to the chuck and faced to the proper height for a second facing operation. The Tee slots would accomplish the same thing.
I remember, I've seen that one a whileback. Good idea

I guess that would be parts that you can't necessarily clamp with the jaws right?

Yeah, you're essentially using the chuck body as a faceplate, jaws removed.

I've decided to give my 12' 4jaw independent rusty chuck a bit of a face-lift today. I only took off about 0.005" on the face and OD.
View attachment 276750
View attachment 276748
View attachment 276749
View attachment 276747
I just don't know why I have never noticed the T-slots on the chuck,and for the life of me I can not think of a way you can use it seeing that this is an independent jaw chuck. If someone can give some ideas on when it would be suitable to use the slots instead of jaws,that would be great. I have a feeling I am going to kick myself when the responses come in.

Michael

Remove the jaws and you have a face plate. Use it any way you would use a face plate such as holding a fixture for repetitive operations..........Bob

Back