405-Y SOUTH BEND LATHE

Refurbguy

Registered
Registered
my lathe is model 405-Y Nd serial number is 55295 I would like to know what Y signifies. Haven’t been able to find much on this series.

The "Y" signifies a 3 foot bed. "Z" a 3-1/2 foot and "A" a 4 foot bed. It was a short lived series (I used to have one originally owned by my grandfather) and was replaced by the modernized 415 9" model.

The "Y" signifies a 3 foot bed. "Z" a 3-1/2 foot and "A" a 4 foot bed. It was a short lived series (I used to have one originally owned by my grandfather) and was replaced by the modernized 415 9" model.
Thank you for clearing this up for me. I have disassembled the entire lathe and found it in very good condition. The japaning was mostly gone so I decided to repaint it but chose machinery grey. I’ll get new flat belts and will be ready to try it out.
My first project will to make a spindle cover.

I bought a 9" SB lathe to resell, it came with a serpentine belt, takes some disassembly to install, but no biggie, I think it would be much better than a relatively thick flat belt due to its higher flexibility and lack of the lace/connector and would run much quieter and smoother.

I bought a 9" SB lathe to resell, it came with a serpentine belt, takes some disassembly to install, but no biggie, I think it would be much better than a relatively thick flat belt due to its higher flexibility and lack of the lace/connector and would run much quieter and smoother.
THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I put a serp belt on mine, best upgrade you can do.

my lathe is model 405-Y Nd serial number is 55295 I would like to know what Y signifies. Haven’t been able to find much on this series.
I too have a 405-Y. Are you aware that you can purchase a PDF image of your original serial number card?

I urge you to go to Steve Wells' website and submit your lathe to the SBL database. Mine is #56617. It's at wswells dot com

I've also installed a serpentine belt instead of stitched leather. Removing the lathe spindle and HMD spindles wasn't too difficult, and now I have a smooth-running belt that I'll probably never have to touch again.

Back