4 Way

Jake , thanks so much for the pictures . I think I'm seeing 3/8 as the base thickness , as they said in Young Dr. Frankenstein " it could work ! " . Now if you could " walk this way " and tell me what the over all square dim. is I would be most " oh abby something " appreciative . Thanks !

Jake, your pics showed up fine in both #16 and #22.
So what are you doing different than the one's with the red x ?

I'm going on the web and using the Xenfro site. It's no problem when I'm on wi-fi, but it really burns the juice when I'm not.
I personally will use Xenfro when I can, as I hate not being able to see pictures also.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

Jake buddy , thanks for the offer . The tool stack would have been fine but the 2.25 is way to big for the 6er . It needs to be more like 1.5 . Thanks again .

No problem. If you change your mind, shoot me a pm.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

I think this is off the HF 7 inch lathe , I'm thinking of putting it on my 6 inch Chraftsman . So my question has anyone put one on their sixer ?
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...+Mini+Lathes?gclid=CKC5jenzqM0CFcVbfgodAB8Lkg

Yes I put a Myford total size approx 2.25 x 2 .25 x 1.75 inches high four way on my Sphere /Atlas as . I emailed the seller to see if they knew the centre height to the bed measurement and the top of the cross slide measurement . It came to just below being three hacksaw blade thicknesses below dead centre when adding in a 5/16 tool steel bank , so I purchased it . Had to put it in the four jaw chuck and use a Morse taper drill to open up the centre blot hole as it was tiny compared to the width of my cross slide slot .

It was about as much good as a chocolate teapot. the area of the base seemed insufficient to stop the tool pushing it round when taking any cut of more then 6 thou. On investigation I discovered that some hero had use the wrong thing to tighten the original lamp post tool holder . they, used a high tensile hex headed bolt and as a result had pulled up a mole hole on the mounting face of the cross slide .

Once I'd filed & scraped it flat , checked for true with engineers blue , the tool post still tended to slide round especially if I was trying to turn a hole or an internal thread where the leverage of the tool is amplified due to the length of the tool .

I made up a " T " nut that fitted the whole length & width of the mounting slot , used a high tensile centre stud & nut to try and get things really tight but it still turned ... resulting in me having conical holes .
In the end I gave up the idea of fitting the Myford tool post and went for a big as possible QCTP . My bank account said " OUCH!" .

Once set up on the new anchor plate etc that came withe new QCTP it made a tremendous difference .. I suspect that the greater surface area of the new QCTP's base allowed a much better friction grip on the cross slide . As I have an early cross slide I also had to extend the flat mounting surface about an inch towards the hand wheel end so if needs be I can rotate the QCTP without it fouling the slide body , by grinding , filing & scraping the new extended flat surface. It took about 25 min including engineers blue grade scraping , using a 12 " hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off to give a nice sharp square scraping edge .

Now the only slight problem I had was that most of the set screws in the new QCTP were made of liquorice , several rounded out as I tightened them on the cutting tools. So I changed all of them out for T grade set screws which is the highest grade of high tensile steel set screw I can get here in Great Britain The boring bar tool holder also got all new high tensile screws all round for I sheared one of the clamping bolts .

TIP ..If you go for a QCTP get as many extra tool holders at the same time .... that you can reasonably afford , an extra six or more is not unreasonable and I'll guarantee that it won't be long before you're hankering for even more .

Last edited:
Quite a story there David , I have never heard of a "Sphere" / Atlas . What size is it ? The compound on the Atlas / Craftsman 618 is very small , the flat area that the tool holder sits on is only about 1. 75 square and to make things a little more interesting that area is below the upper most part of the compound . All you have to do is shim it up about .12 to overcome that . I have been looking at this tool holder , but there are some things I don't care for , like the "T" nut could be a little more robust and the fact that the 1.75 dim might be to big . These things could be modified so I'm not ruling it out .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191295054914?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My Sphere ...It appears to be mainly an Atlas 10 inch with several British made parts that were added ( perhaps ) after they were shipped to the UK for part of the lease lend help we got from the USA in world war 2 . I think it was made about 1943 it has several differences to eh Atlas in that there is no switch hole in the head stock housing .
It has " SPHERE Made in Great Britain " cast in the feet, Timkin taper roller bearings in the head stock spindle and surprise surprise brass screw down gits grease caps to lube the shaft bearings , The gear box cover is Bakelite so are all the drive belt pulley's . The cover on the back of the cross slide is also black Bakelite . The tail stock is slightly different as well , so are the hand wheels , all of mine use taper pins to fix them on the shafts . The screw threading dial is also quite different in that it has 16 ( IIRC) markings on it ( for multi start threading ?) . The compound slide had a rounded top surface and only had a small flat ground on it to mount a lantern type tool post ( why I had to make the flat bigger ) It also has the original General Electrics 1/3 Hp 240 volt motor and the original MOLO issued with the machine . The bed numbering bears no relationship to an Atlas number set .

The machine was imported by The Acorn tool Company ( 1936 ) Ltd
610 , 612 , 614 High Road Chiswick London W4 ....
Should you have any informations regarding this place or anything about shipments of the Atlas / sphere lathes during the second world war I'm not the only one on here who'd be interested to read what you have .
Wscab has pretty much all of the info available as do " lathes .co.uk " .

I'm the third owner of it from new , it was a model used in the armaments production industry in WW2 , this one would have been used to make the precision screw threads for the torpedoes timing gears had it ever been taken out of it's packing case . It was purchased brand new still in it's grease & packing crate in a war stock emergency sale auction in Feb 1946 for £ 5 as the government was desperate to get hold of cash to pay for things .

If you find my name in the introductions threads I have /had a few pictures of it .
In this picture the tool clamp is absolutely rubbish it came off a Myford and was only meant to grip a 1/4 " cutting tool not the 1/2 & 3/4 one s I got with the lathe
IMG_5476_zps7ff22afb.jpg

Last edited:
Back