4" to 6" chuck

Jcwood

Registered
Registered
I have a little Enco 3 in 1 machine with a 3 jaw 4" chuck and would like to put a 6" chuck on the lathe spindle. It will physically fit. There is enough room. Are there any other considerations. I have found mounting plates or can make one to mount it. Is the weight increase a problem for a light machine? Thanks in advance.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
3:1 Machines tend to have unusual dimensions in the carriage and cross slide. You'll need to measure the distance between centerline and the top of the compound. You'll also need to allow space for the jaws to open.

Ray

Usually the difference in weight of the chuck will not create much of an issue. Sometimes it helps to pulse the on/off switch to help spin it up when first starting it from a dead stop. As stated, the Combo machines do have a weird throat dimension sometimes so pay close attention to the jaws hitting the ways if you really open them wide. If you are opening it that wide you might want to consider a drive dog and a drive plate too. Losta ways to skin that cat if it is an occasional issue. If it is a constant thing you will eventually need to consider a larger machine to avoid that problem all together. Some idea of exactly what your attempting to do on what machine may help us help you quite a bit more too. Hope this helps get your answer.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I believe I've got plenty of room with the jaws open wide. My concern was the weight on what seems to me to be a smallish spindle. Its the little three bolt kind for a generic Chinese 3 way. The 3 in 1s don't seem to do anything well but mine is a little better lathe than mill. Its useless as a mill. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

John

Back