4 Jaw Independant Issue

Slingshot, I recently went thorough the same issues with a new 4jaw. I did the following tests :

1. Remove all the jaws and run a DI on the face of the chuck to confirm that the chuck is running in axial alignment with the headstock, also do this on the side of the chuck to verify radial alignment. Do the above for each bolt position on the chuck (normally 4) and note which gives you the best results. Give axial alignment priority as you can dial out radial with the jaws when working.

2. Once you have the chuck body aligned move onto the jaws. Replace them and Mount a test bar, dial it in near the headstock the run your dial indicator out to about 6" and check runout note how much runout and in what position the high point is relative to the jaws. Now remove the jaw where the high point was ands swop it with the jaw opposite it. Again chuck up your test bar and perform the same test. If the high point moved with the jaws you can be certain that the error is with your jaws and not the headstock. For me this was the case. You can resolve this by grinding your jaws. However what I did first was to make up a list of every permutation of jaw to slot (24 combinations, hint label the jaws and slots) and perform the above test with each combination noting the resulting runout at 6". I found a best case of 0.06mm at 100mm (I work in metric) which I ended up using and did not need to grind my jaws.

If you had a chuck that was out of axial alignment do to the jaws not being true could one chuck it onto a precision bar mounted between centers then true up the back mounting surface to make it run true? Seems that would get everything properly aligned?

I have been around and worked in machine shops all my life just not with lathes .I have a precision level and have the ways perfect i have .002 taper I have tried twisting the ways to get the taper out but no change. so i am pretty sure the headstock needs moving.But right now i am more concerned with the 4 jaw chuck i can't fig out what is going on with this thing
The headstock thing is easy if you have at least one vee way; just slip in a shim in between the headstock and one vee way surface at opposite sides on each end, thus pivoting the headstock one way or the other. The best way, of course is scraping the surfaces of the headstock to achieve a like result, but for minor corrections, this method works well, I have done it on several lathes that I have owned.

I have been around and worked in machine shops all my life just not with lathes .I have a precision level and have the ways perfect i have .002 taper I have tried twisting the ways to get the taper out but no change. so i am pretty sure the headstock needs moving.But right now i am more concerned with the 4 jaw chuck i can't fig out what is going on with this thing

I ran into the same problem after the move to the new shop and I have a PM 1440 B and I had to re aline my head stock and it involves 4 hold down bolts and jack screws with a bit of testing as you go.
Just be methodical and write your steps and movement amount as you go.
Its not that hard just have patience.
just my 2 cents worth

It must be a real Bison... it has the right sticker/badge right there! /s

except...

It is suspicious is that it is sitting next to a cardboard box labelled "271-6010", which is Enco's part number for their Interstate cheap ($112) Chinese chuck:

http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/32555-i...ur-jaw-independent-lathe-chucks-271-6010.html

Also... the chuck in the ebay add doesn't have "MADE IN POLAND" stamped into the face like the Bison ones do, or any Bison part numbers stamped on it.

Also... the "Bison badge" is not set into a shallow depression, but just glued to the face of the chuck. All the Bison I have seen (and owned) have the badge inset so it is flush.

Also... no oil port on the chuck, unlike the Bison chucks.

Also, that small depression on the opposite side from the Bison chuck, that is in line with the bolt hole? In the Enco catalog, they show that the interstate badge is glued into that hole...

Makes me suspicious that someone is financing their upgrade to a Bison by peeling the Bison badge off and sticking it on the chuck they are replacing.

I definitely would not buy it.

Thanks Tmark that is exactly what i was asking, and yes i seen the same things you are talking about. I question the seller and he said it was just a box he had laying around! not lol
This is not a bison chuck that is for sure. thanks

Back