4 Jaw Chuck

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Watching Adam's videos (Abom79) got me motivated to remove my 3 jaw and install my 4 jaw and use it. Still cant dial in the material very fast but Im working on it. Any of you guys use your 4 jaw as our normal chuck?
DSCF1115_zpsue5udgiq.jpg

Yes...sort of. I have a 3 jaw Jacobs spindle chuck that goes up to just over 1/2", anything larger is my 4 jaw independent. With two keys I can centre pretty quickly for most work and pull out the dial indicator for real accurate stuff. Small accurate stuff I use ER collet system.

David

4 jaws chucks work great. Certainly for certain irregular shapes, or if you need a piece offset from center - they also hold better, less tendency to distort hollow work. With a bit of practice, you'll get much quicker. I still recall my first awkward efforts (probably took me 15 minutes) - now it is a routine task (perhaps it takes a minute?).

I have not used the 2 key method (I'm used to a method that works well for me). Number the jaws, locate your dial at the top of the work piece (the mag base on the cross slide so you can move the whole dial back and forth to get the pointer on the high point), then work the jaws in pairs (i.e. get 1-3 close, then work 2-4, repeat), ignore the dial reading between the jaws - just dial the 4 quadrants (the space inbetween will sort itself out).

Regards, DavidC

I use the 4jaw more than the 3jaw.
I never understood why people avoid them so much.
DavidC laid it out perfect. They hold better, distort less, and have less rotating mass and stick out.
Dialing in to about a thou takes maybe a minute, just work jaws in pairs. If I really mess up the initial centering, I use two keys to get it close. Then I just use one key. It is not rocket science, you just tighten the "high" jaw by 1/2 half the runout.

I do use my 3jaw, I just find the 4jaw more useful over all and so it tends to live on the lathe more than the 4jaw. Mostly I use the 3jaw when I am cutting parts off the end of a long bar that is run through the headstock. Hard to beat a 3jaw in that application.

Kinda a little of both depending on the project. If I was removing a piece frequently, 4 jaw gets to be a pain unless you use it a lot. I really like my 4 jaw combination, kinda the best of both worlds but they are very uncommon.

My 10inch Powermatic/Logan came with a 4jaw. That's all I had.
Never did figure out the two wrench thing.
Now the only reason I keep the 3jaws for my other lathes is that it may make the lathes more saleable- someday....

Daryl
MN

Call me spoilt, I have three 4-jaws of various sizes (the 10" Pratt-Burnerd with matching to lathe serial number stamped on the back..., a 8" Fuerda and a 5" Bison), swap them to suit the work as the lathe spindle has D1-5 engagements, not a thread.
I find the 4-jaws pretty quick to centre to within a thou" or less with a decent DTI (finger type, not plunger - I don't use two keys either) and use them in preference to the 3-jaw (an 8" Pratt-Burnerd, also matching s/n) even for quick jobs, although it's very good for a 60-year-old chuck, within a couple of thou" still! It may wind up permanently attached to a rotary table?

I also have the rare-as-rocking-horse-droppings native collet set (Holbrook parts are more than scarce and generally don't match up to any others!) and drawtube for up to 7/8" for less-than-tenth accuracy...

Anything really awkward goes on a faceplate firmly clamped, that way if it clears the ways it can be turned :) Many seem intimidated by faceplate work, but with some attention to clamping, balance and *keeping the speed down* it's a good way to hold really oddly shaped work that you'd otherwise have to bore on a mill.
Even more run from between-centres machining, but I think it's the only way to reliably turn anything that needs to be taken off the lathe and e.g. checked for a bearing fit or measured. Does shallow tapers nicely too!

I WOULD like a 6-jaw self-centring chuck for thin-walled tubes etc., but I haven't found one in my price range yet... and I need to make a D1-5 spindle nose to go on one of my rotary tables!

Dave H. (the other one)

had only a 4 jaw for 2 years, so it's nice to have a 3 jaw at last :) That said, it's a very handy thing to have when you need it.

Used it today. Got the stock dialed in in only a couple of minutes. I getting better with practice.

My first encounter with a 4 jaw was in the 7th grade.
We had to remove our project at the end of class, If we didn't the next day we had to get it out of the trash, so we got good real quick. Sink or swim :encourage:

My first encounter with a 3 jaw was like how does this thing work no mater which hole I stick the key in all the jaws turn together :confused: ROLMAO

Just remember tighten on the high loosen on the low

Numbering the jaws may reduce the chance of confusion also.

Tomh

Back