4-facet sharpening fixture using stuff around the shop

I have a solution by using a Universal Grinding Fixture from SARS ($99). Reducing the width of the base of a Spin Index to fit the holder and bolting the index sideways to the holder. Then you have 4 axis adjustments!!!!! (check the picture carefully) on the whole setup. I'm planing to build one and then mount it on top of a small milling table which I already have. The table will allow you to move the fixture along the X axis and advance the drill or cutter towards the grinding wheel along the Y axis as needed in a controlled feed. Such project will work for those without a surface grinder by using a 6" bench grinder mounted on an elevated base and buying a face cutting wheel with the table located on the side of it or without the table for those with it. Furthermore, by using square 5C Collets you can you use it for grinding lathe tool bits and also for cylindrical grinding of round bars within 5C Collet diameter limits. Talk about versatility.I figure about $300 for the whole shebang.

Cheers

Jorge
View attachment 75599
View attachment 75598

I have one of those I picked up for 10 bucks

I have a solution by using a Universal Grinding Fixture from SARS ($99). Reducing the width of the base of a Spin Index to fit the holder and bolting the index sideways to the holder. Then you have 4 axis adjustments!!!!! (check the picture carefully) on the whole setup. I'm planing to build one and then mount it on top of a small milling table which I already have. The table will allow you to move the fixture along the X axis and advance the drill or cutter towards the grinding wheel along the Y axis as needed in a controlled feed. Such project will work for those without a surface grinder by using a 6" bench grinder mounted on an elevated base and buying a face cutting wheel with the table located on the side of it or without the table for those with it. Furthermore, by using square 5C Collets you can you use it for grinding lathe tool bits and also for cylindrical grinding of round bars within 5C Collet diameter limits. Talk about versatility.I figure about $300 for the whole shebang.

Cheers

Jorge
View attachment 75599
View attachment 75598

Jorge, That IS a good way. You don't even need a spin-dex or a sine plate. I started to make one a year or so ago, but the project got stalled - all that's left is making the toolholder accessories. My version was planned to have a toolholder like the one from Shars, a V-block holder and to have the upper axis be optional to keep as much rigidity as possible for configurations where I didn't need all four axes.

Here's a pic and a screenshot of the Alibre 3D model with the planned accessories.

DSC00303.JPGUntitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpg

But, if all you want to do is quickly sharpen drill bits, the spindex and sine plate is very fast...

John

DSC00303.JPG Untitled1.jpg Untitled2.jpg Untitled3.jpg

Back