4-facet sharpening fixture using stuff around the shop

jgedde

Active User
Registered
Hi folks, Long time no post. My machinist hobby goes in spurts and I'll go through a period of months where I have no desire to play in the shop. Then an idea for a project hits and I'm off and running. This time is no different.

I had a hankering to see what the hype was surrounding 4-facet drill sharpening and thought you guys would enjoy the results and the process.

Being fortunate to have a surface grinder and an old flaring cup wheel, I figured the hard part was already done. So, I just had to figure out how to use stuff around the shop to pull the rest of it off... Seeing my spin indexer and 5C collet set made me think, there's just the thing I need to hold a drill bit and be able to accurately index the bit 180 degrees so I could sharpen both lips. After that, I needed a way to angle the spin indexer to the primary and secondary relief angles. I chewed on that one for a while and tried a few things: angle vise (tilts the wrong way and the tightening handle is in the way if I turn it around), tilt table (too hard to set and tighten down), and a few other ideas that weren't fruitful.

In any case, my grinder's magnetic chuck wasn't deep enough to hold the spin indexer and still leave me enough fore and aft movement while securely holding the spin indexer with the bit protruding. I figured a steel plate on the magnetic chuck overhanging the front of the grinder would solve that. I started to price ground steel and CI plate and got sticker shock! Big $$$. So, knowing I had an old 3/4 steel plate kicking around, I cut it up and welded it back together shaped like a T then ground it flat on the surface grinder.

Getting back to being able to tilt the spin indexer, finally the idea of using a sine plate hit me... Problem was, I didn't have one. I asked around at work and a few of the older employees remembered we had one kicking around someplace. After about 1/2 hour of searching, I found it and was able to borrow it for the weekend. I have a set of gauge blocks, but I was curious what primary and secondary angles I'd get using a 123 block instead: 11.5 degrees and 23.5 degrees. Sounded reasonable enough to me...

I now had everything I needed and spent nothing.

Here's a picture of the setup:
IMG_0042[1].JPG

Here's a closeup view:
IMG_0040[1].JPG

and a close-up of the first drill off the setup, a monster 1-1/16 silver and deming:
IMG_0043.jpg

I chucked it up in the tailstock of the lathe, put a junk piece of aluminum in the chuck and drilled right through it. No pilot hole, no center drill, no nothing. Just as I'd head about 4-facet grinds, they take much less axial force to drill and walk a lot less. All true... It did seem to chatter a bit more, but that was in my opinion due to the aggressive 11.5 primary angle I used.

A successful experiment and it cost me nothing! If it's free - it's for me!

Cheers,
John

IMG_0042[1].JPG IMG_0040[1].JPG IMG_0043.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I've now sharpened most of my large drill bits and refined the technique. These 4-facet bits drill nice!!! It takes about 3-4 minutes to sharpen a bit now that I've done a few.

I'm charging the good camera now, so tomorrow I'll take some high-res close-ups of sharpened drills. This setup really does a very nice job - I'm thinking it's because the surface grinder (and the setup) is much more rigid than most drill grinding machines.

Cheers,
John

Nice setup looks good.:goodjob2:Now if I only had a surface grinder:thinking: Shure would like to find a bench top SG.

John, now that you've mentioned it, we haven't been seeing much of you lately. It's good to see you back.
This idea that you've shared is great! Thanks for sharing it with us. In the picture,I can clearly see how accurate this method is.

John, what a great solution. I have a surface grinder, cup wheels, spindexer. I dont have a sine plate, but i do have an angle vice, which I think I can use in place of the sine plate. Excellent.

:thumbzup3:

Marcel

John, what a great solution. I have a surface grinder, cup wheels, spindexer. I dont have a sine plate, but i do have an angle vice, which I think I can use in place of the sine plate. Excellent.

:thumbzup3:

Marcel

Xalky, thanks for the good words! I don't know what kind of angle vice you have, but if it's like mine you may not be able to use it. You see, they tilt the wrong way. What I mean by that is since the spindex needs to be tilted up, the handle will have to face towards the back and it will be in the way. You can run the risk of running the handle into the grinding wheel.

This view of a typical angle vice shows what I mean:
6Z844_AS01.jpg
John

- - - Updated - - -

As promised, here's a closeup of a sharpened bit:
DSC00296.jpg

John

6Z844_AS01.jpg DSC00296.jpg

Xalky, thanks for the good words! I don't know what kind of angle vice you have, but if it's like mine you may not be able to use it. You see, they tilt the wrong way. What I mean by that is since the spindex needs to be tilted up, the handle will have to face towards the back and it will be in the way. You can run the risk of running the handle into the grinding wheel.

This view of a typical angle vice shows what I mean:
View attachment 75451
John

Can you take that vise apart and put it together backwards?

Can you take that vise apart and put it together backwards?

I thought that was such a great idea, I didn't reply until I went down to the shop and tried it :thinking:. It really seemed like it would work... But, the front of the vice protrudes too far and it wouldn't go together backwards.

John

A sine plate is a verry easy project to make. 2 pices of plate and a hinge.

I thought that was such a great idea, I didn't reply until I went down to the shop and tried it :thinking:. It really seemed like it would work... But, the front of the vice protrudes too far and it wouldn't go together backwards.

John
I have a solution by using a Universal Grinding Fixture from SARS ($99). Reducing the width of the base of a Spin Index to fit the holder and bolting the index sideways to the holder. Then you have 4 axis adjustments!!!!! (check the picture carefully) on the whole setup. I'm planing to build one and then mount it on top of a small milling table which I already have. The table will allow you to move the fixture along the X axis and advance the drill or cutter towards the grinding wheel along the Y axis as needed in a controlled feed. Such project will work for those without a surface grinder by using a 6" bench grinder mounted on an elevated base and buying a face cutting wheel with the table located on the side of it or without the table for those with it. Furthermore, by using square 5C Collets you can you use it for grinding lathe tool bits and also for cylindrical grinding of round bars within 5C Collet diameter limits. Talk about versatility.I figure about $300 for the whole shebang.

Cheers

Jorge
Milling Table.jpg
Grinding Fixture.jpg

Grinding Fixture.jpg Milling Table.jpg

Back