4 Cylinder Inline Engine

I was able to get some time over the last few days from my (she who must be obeyed) remodeling job to make a big mess and a cavity.
Most of the scarf is in the waste bin already.

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Got some more done on the engine starting with the cast iron cylinder liners.
Two of the chunks in the back make 4 liners.
IMG_2961.JPG

After clamping the liners overnight for the sealing to cure I decked the engine block.
IMG_2964.JPG

I opened up both sides of the block to get some rod clearance but I didn't have to go that far.
I just like to see the moving parts when possible.
IMG_2967.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Ray. What's the bore and stroke going to be? About the biggest challenge you have taken on so far. I am watching with interest.

The kitchen remodel project is winding down and I have gotten some time to work in the shop again.
I will try to build a crankshaft with needle bearings on the connecting rod journals. To do this I can't use any type of sealant on the crank assembly like LocTite as it may migrate into the bearings and that would be bad. All pieces will be a press fit only.
Wish me luck.
IMG_2957.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I fully intended to document the assembly of the crankshaft but in the heat of things I completely forgot.
Clocking the sections was not a problem even when the outer two sections were added and the center rod was removed. These sections do not have a center rod for alignment so I pressed one end section on only about a 1/4" and then took it over to the lathe. The outer section and the next section were then clamped tightly in the 3 jaw chuck and that brought both sections into alignment. Then back to the press to finish the press the rest of the way.
IMG_2971.JPG
Quite happy with the crank so far.

I cut out two bearing caps on the CNC.
IMG_2973.JPG

Right off the mill.
IMG_2977.JPG

And installed on the block.
IMG_2979.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I muddled over how to line bore the main bearing caps for some time with the equipment and tooling I had and finally decided on this setup.
I know it looks sketchy but it was quite stable and at at 65 rpms it worked fine.
IMG_2981.JPG

My 3/4" drill bit was just long enough to reach through both ends.
IMG_2986.JPG

I did have to flip the block around and realign it as my big boring bar was too short to reach.
IMG_2989.JPG

The results were very satisfactory with a nice smooth turning crankshaft in the end.
IMG_2991.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back