3PH motor wiring

Plus your old motor has an oddball metric shaft size with a double pulley with 2 different sizes and then you will need to find a pulley or bore yours out if the shaft is larger on your new motor and broach a new keyway into it if there is enough meat before you may be cutting into the small pulley.

That's if your lathe still had the Taiwan motor on it.

This may help…

Plus your old motor has an oddball metric shaft size with a double pulley with 2 different sizes and then you will need to find a pulley or bore yours out if the shaft is larger on your new motor and broach a new keyway into it if there is enough meat before you may be cutting into the small pulley.

That's if your lathe still had the Taiwan motor on it.
I was fortunate enough that the previous owner had already swapped the motor and done all that

Yeah, both motors have 7/8 shafts so I’m good there
I've made an adapter plate for swapping motors on a lathe before, but it was in the other direction. The original motor was one of the old style motors with a much larger overall size. I replaced that with a smaller Baldor of the same HP, but had to make an adapter to raise the motor to put the shaft roughly the same place, as well as extend the overall footprint to get to the bolt holes on the machine motor mount.

I think trying to go in the other direction might be a bigger challenge honestly.

It definitely sounds like the original motor has issues if it's bogging down on heavy cuts and doing the weird stuff of running in reverse. I've had two 13" Sheldons with 1hp motors and never recall the motor bogging down on heavy cuts...maybe I was going easy, but I don't think so.

I'll also say that I have seen a huge difference between quality electric motors and cheap imports...regardless of what the specs on them say. For example, I had a Baldor 1/2hp grinder and a cheapie import 1/2hp grinder with similar specs. Using a wire wheel and leaning heavily on the cheapie I could get it to bog down nearly to the point of stopping (not a recommended technique). The Baldor would slow a little, but nowhere near as much...not even close.

I doubt you'd have issues with a quality 1hp motor that's working properly.

I've made an adapter plate for swapping motors on a lathe before, but it was in the other direction. The original motor was one of the old style motors with a much larger overall size. I replaced that with a smaller Baldor of the same HP, but had to make an adapter to raise the motor to put the shaft roughly the same place, as well as extend the overall footprint to get to the bolt holes on the machine motor mount.

I think trying to go in the other direction might be a bigger challenge honestly.

It definitely sounds like the original motor has issues if it's bogging down on heavy cuts and doing the weird stuff of running in reverse. I've had two 13" Sheldons with 1hp motors and never recall the motor bogging down on heavy cuts...maybe I was going easy, but I don't think so.

I'll also say that I have seen a huge difference between quality electric motors and cheap imports...regardless of what the specs on them say. For example, I had a Baldor 1/2hp grinder and a cheapie import 1/2hp grinder with similar specs. Using a wire wheel and leaning heavily on the cheapie I could get it to bog down nearly to the point of stopping (not a recommended technique). The Baldor would slow a little, but nowhere near as much...not even close.

I doubt you'd have issues with a quality 1hp motor that's working properly.
Yeah, I may save myself the headache and look for a good 1 hp motor. I have no doubt I could make this work but not without a ton of modifications. The motor that’s on it is a good brand, a marathon, made in the USA. An older one no doubt.

When the motor tries to run in reverse and run forward doing a kind of back and forth thing it's the capacitor. Mark the electrical wiz here helped me figure that out on my Enco lathe. Once I replaced the capacitor and the contacts on the centrifugal switch all was good.

When the motor tries to run in reverse and run forward doing a kind of back and forth thing it's the capacitor. Mark the electrical wiz here helped me figure that out on my Enco lathe. Once I replaced the capacitor and the contacts on the centrifugal switch all was good.
Mine is running off of a VFD. I did try a different motor and it did not do it , so that’s what leads me to believe it’s the motor and not the vfd

Back