3PH motor wiring

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello guys, I have been looking for some time now for a larger motor for my Enco 12 x 36. Currently I’m running a 1 hp 3 ph off of a VFD. Well last night one popped up on FB and I snagged it up. It’s a Baldor industrial 3hp 3phase. My VFD if rated for 1-3hp a 230 volts which is how I’m running currently. I’m gonna need some help getting my wiring correct. I’m not sure how to tell how the motor is wired currently. Not sure if it’s wired for 230 or 400. I will post a few pics for you. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.jpeg
    IMG_1714.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1715.jpeg
    IMG_1715.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1719.jpeg
    IMG_1719.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 15
I'm not an electric guru but was able to determine if my motor was Wye or Star connections with these diagrams.
Once I figured that out it was pretty easy.

Attachments

• 8dd4d36f499c374fc1b7f20e756ce633.jpg
    8dd4d36f499c374fc1b7f20e756ce633.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 7
Hard to tell for sure because I can only see one wire number in the 4th photo but because there are two wires attached to each of the cut-off power wires, it looks wired for low voltage. Each wire is numbered (number with underline). Those correspond to the numbers on the connection diagrams on the nameplate. Each dot represents a wire, each line represents a connection between wires (a little unintuitively). Disconnect the input power from your inverter. For low voltage connect:

Wires 4 to 5 to 6
VFD Line 1 (U) to wires 3 and 9 (VFD could also be marked M1, etc.)
VFD Line 2 (V) to wires 2 and 8
VFD Line 3 (W) to wires 1 and 7
Insulate each of the connections with a layer of rubber tape and then electrical tape.

Turn on the motor (forward) briefly. If it goes in the wrong direction, disconnect the power again and swap Line 1 with Line 2 at your inverter. It is easier there because the connections are at terminals and not taped up.

Hello guys, I have been looking for some time now for a larger motor for my Enco 12 x 36. Currently I’m running a 1 hp 3 ph off of a VFD. Well last night one popped up on FB and I snagged it up. It’s a Baldor industrial 3hp 3phase. My VFD if rated for 1-3hp a 230 volts which is how I’m running currently. I’m gonna need some help getting my wiring correct. I’m not sure how to tell how the motor is wired currently. Not sure if it’s wired for 230 or 400. I will post a few pics for you. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
On the plate that covers the Peckerhead, There should be a low voltage wiring schematic and a High voltage schematic. You don't have a pic of it. But you just need to wire nut the right wires together for low voltage and make your connections. It's very simple, A lot easier than a single phase capacitor start motor.

I'm sure Mark will be along soon to help you sort it out.

You should link this topic over at the Electrical issues sub forum.

On the plate that covers the Peckerhead, There should be a low voltage wiring schematic and a High voltage schematic. You don't have a pic of it. But you just need to wire nut the right wires together for low voltage and make your connections. It's very simple, A lot easier than a single phase capacitor start motor.

I'm sure Mark will be along soon to help you sort it out.
Marks good like that.

Whatever you do, test it with a short throw of the switch on and off and see if you get rotation.

If it rotates, good, if it hums, bad.

My VFD if rated for 1-3hp a 230 volts which is how I’m running currently. I’m

Usually static phase converters are rated for a range of horsepowers... like 1 - 3hp. VFD's are usually just rated at their max hp. Are you sure you have a VFD and not a static phase converter?

In your pictures it looks like lines 4, 5, and 6 are all tied together which would indicate low voltage (230v) on the face plate. According to the face plate if it was wired for high voltage (440v) three of the leads from the motor would not be wired together. For high voltage here would be 3 pairs of 2 leads from motor wired together and the 3 incoming legs would be wired directly to 3 single motor leads... this does not appear to be the case. It looks like it is wired for low voltage (203v) to me.

I would suggest you get someone familiar with wiring up 3 phase motors to give you a hand, or at least onsite guidance.

Last edited:
Have you checked this fit on your lathe? The frame size is a 184, so most likely larger than the 1hp motor. I have a Taiwanese 12x36, there are very few motors that will fit without significant modifications to the motor area.

It looks to be wired to low voltage. There is one bundle with three wires, that should be 4-5-6, and I can see two other bundles of two wires, those bundles would be 1-7, 2-8, and 3-9. Each of those bundles would be connected to your three leads from the VFD. You can see where they cut those wires.

Hard to tell for sure because I can only see one wire number in the 4th photo but because there are two wires attached to each of the cut-off power wires, it looks wired for low voltage. Each wire is numbered (number with underline). Those correspond to the numbers on the connection diagrams on the nameplate. Each dot represents a wire, each line represents a connection between wires (a little unintuitively). Disconnect the input power from your inverter. For low voltage connect:

Wires 4 to 5 to 6
VFD Line 1 (U) to wires 3 and 9 (VFD could also be marked M1, etc.)
VFD Line 2 (V) to wires 2 and 8
VFD Line 3 (W) to wires 1 and 7
Insulate each of the connections with a layer of rubber tape and then electrical tape.

Turn on the motor (forward) briefly. If it goes in the wrong direction, disconnect the power again and swap Line 1 with Line 2 at your inverter. It is easier there because the connections are at terminals and not taped up.
Awesome, I see what you mean. Thank you

Back