3ph Motor Install, Need Recommendations

If the 3ph is going to be tricky to fit, go with the treadmill motor. You'll get most of the same controls (variable speed, reverse) and it should be easier to fit. As for the pulley fan thing you have 2 options. 1, ditch the current pulley, put your own on and rig up some kind of fan. either stand alone fixed speed or attached to the shaft somehow - the 2nd one is what I did with my Atlas 618 treadmill motor. 2, turn a V pulley into the current pulley or turn it down and press on an appropriately machined V pulley. This is what I'm going to do for the treadmill motor on my drill press. Then cut/ grind a flat or two on the shaft and secure it with a set screw.

As for motor size, for a treadmill go as small as you can and still wrap a belt around it. You want to be running it at 1/3 speed or above, whatever spindle speed you're after, and as they're typically 4000rpm motors that means you'll need to gear it down a lot with the motor pulley (or a much bigger counter shaft pulley). Notched V belts work better on small pulleys than standard V belts and the link belt I'm using on my lathe works well too, although some don't like them.

I'm very happy with the 1hp treadmill motor on my 618. You can hear it slow down a touch on deeper cuts, but as long as the motor speed is 1/3 (ideally 1/2) of max the belts will slip way before the motor stalls. Being able to vary speed during a cut is awesome too. I was able to go from ~70rpm to ~250rpm facing a 4in back plate from the edge to the center.

Back