$3K to fix $25 Part

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is just a fun post to show what you can do when you are CHEAP!

IMG_0519.jpeg

The picture is a blower resistor for an 05 Grand Caravan. $25 at local parts store. My wife calls from work and says the blower only works on high, quit while she was driving. I replaced the resistor and checked it out. Everything was fine, all the speeds. I last replaced it about 4 years ago. My wife calls me up again and tells me she only has high speed and the blower motor is screaming. A quick Youtube check says that the fan motor will start drawing too much and burn out the resistor. $70 for the motor at the local parts store. I have replaced blower motors on lots of Dodge vans over the years, but this by far was the worst, Several hours later, a broken tab and new language invented, the motor is in. I looked over the resistor to find a 1/4" area of wire missing. I dug out both ends to what shows above. The wires sticking up are wrapped around the resistor. You can see the ridges. I scrapped and cleaned the wire ends.
I dug out a piece of .078 brass rod from a Chinese assortment I bought last year. I know better but I tried anyway to touch a #55 drill to the end and of course it skittered all around. Holding my breath, I faced off the rod and then center drilled it. The center drill was in a pile of used stuff from years ago. You know "I just cleaned out Grandpa's toolbox and it is worth a fortune".

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 4.08.36 PM.png

I don't have a micro drilling setup yet, It's on the list so I chucked up my small drill setup into the large drill chuck and cranked it in. It Worked! Time to breath again.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 4.09.25 PM.png

Now comes the fun part. I took my parting tool and parted it off. I can buzz right through 2" of 1018, but something this small???? I didn't take a picture and it parted perfectly!!!! Caught it in a cup and Yahtzee! (guess where that came from)?

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 4.10.48 PM.png

The little tab is the burr that was left after parting. I know a REAL you-tuber would turn it around and deburr and chamfer it, but this old boy knows when it is time to call it quits. The wires were twisted together and the brass tube squeezed shut. I have a good 30 minutes of running now, so I will consider this done. Lets see, a 12" lathe, ER32 collet chuck and collets, two different size drill chucks and misc???? An easy $3K to avoid buying another $25 resistor.

If any of you decide to replace the motor, I would suggest finding a little Gumby Girl. The little small girls who are double jointed and tie themselves up into knots and make you feel pain watching them. Me, I got jammed between the door and passenger seat and almost didn't make it back out.

Hope you enjoy!

that's the spirit! I took apart, cleaned and regreased a door handle the other day. Seemed silly to buy a new one and now it works like new :)

Does the resistor sit in the air-flow of the fan? Those resistors are just Ni-Cr wire wound around a ceramic carrier, then topped off with some high temp sealing goo. A thermal fuse is located right beside it. It's surprising that the resistor burned out. Probably the bean counters wanted as small a gauge of wire as they could get, then bought the next smaller gauge.

Lets see, a 12" lathe, ER32 collet chuck and collets, two different size drill chucks and misc???? An easy $3K to avoid buying another $25 resistor.

Your living the dream !

I originally thought that the thermal fuse would have gone bad and was surprised that it lived and the wire died. I figured that the wire was a resistor wire (heating element) to help drop current. The wire diameter was .024. That stuff can be welded but not really soldered, so I went with a brass crimp. Since only about 3/8" total in length shorter, I figured I only changed the circuit about an ohm or less.

The resistor sits enclosed by plastic and completely in the air flow. so no chances of shorts or over heating.

You haven't lived untill you face off a .078 diameter rod. I have a new appreciation for Joe Pi building the little machine shop.

I figured that the wire was a resistor wire (heating element) to help drop current..

It's shocking that this 1920's technology is still being used in any car from the last 40 years. A simple PWM controller would have given far better control of the motor.

The irony is that even tho the resistor is in the airstream, the low speed setting is what heats the resistor the most, and it dies.
If only it wasn't so difficult to get at the darned thing, but no, you have to pull the whole blower out and often the whole heater

I FREAK
This is just a fun post to show what you can do when you are CHEAP!

View attachment 396125

The picture is a blower resistor for an 05 Grand Caravan. $25 at local parts store. My wife calls from work and says the blower only works on high, quit while she was driving. I replaced the resistor and checked it out. Everything was fine, all the speeds. I last replaced it about 4 years ago. My wife calls me up again and tells me she only has high speed and the blower motor is screaming. A quick Youtube check says that the fan motor will start drawing too much and burn out the resistor. $70 for the motor at the local parts store. I have replaced blower motors on lots of Dodge vans over the years, but this by far was the worst, Several hours later, a broken tab and new language invented, the motor is in. I looked over the resistor to find a 1/4" area of wire missing. I dug out both ends to what shows above. The wires sticking up are wrapped around the resistor. You can see the ridges. I scrapped and cleaned the wire ends.
I dug out a piece of .078 brass rod from a Chinese assortment I bought last year. I know better but I tried anyway to touch a #55 drill to the end and of course it skittered all around. Holding my breath, I faced off the rod and then center drilled it. The center drill was in a pile of used stuff from years ago. You know "I just cleaned out Grandpa's toolbox and it is worth a fortune".

View attachment 396126

I don't have a micro drilling setup yet, It's on the list so I chucked up my small drill setup into the large drill chuck and cranked it in. It Worked! Time to breath again.

View attachment 396127

Now comes the fun part. I took my parting tool and parted it off. I can buzz right through 2" of 1018, but something this small???? I didn't take a picture and it parted perfectly!!!! Caught it in a cup and Yahtzee! (guess where that came from)?

View attachment 396130

The little tab is the burr that was left after parting. I know a REAL you-tuber would turn it around and deburr and chamfer it, but this old boy knows when it is time to call it quits. The wires were twisted together and the brass tube squeezed shut. I have a good 30 minutes of running now, so I will consider this done. Lets see, a 12" lathe, ER32 collet chuck and collets, two different size drill chucks and misc???? An easy $3K to avoid buying another $25 resistor.

If any of you decide to replace the motor, I would suggest finding a little Gumby Girl. The little small girls who are double jointed and tie themselves up into knots and make you feel pain watching them. Me, I got jammed between the door and passenger seat and almost didn't make it back out.

Hope you enjoy!
I FREAKIN LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back