3J chuck for South Bend 13" lathe?

thedarkknightt

Registered
Registered
Hopefully i dont show too much if my ignorance here, in case this may not be too impractical or a silly set up...
Just trying to see if anyone has any suggestions or pics of how they may have done one. My lathe has the large bore spindle with 2 1/4" threads. I've seen some chucks with flat backs that I believe I can easily set up to work- but any suggestions would be helpful.

Drill chuck ? Your spindle may have an internal taper as most lathes do . Many of mine were MT4.5 from Clausing in which case you would need a sleeve . ( I may be off track if this is not what you asked ) :grin:

Larger diameter collet capacity will be tough.
Wondering what ROVI wants for their chuck and appropriate collets?
You might luck into a Jacobs 91 rubberflex collet chuck with flange mount for threaded spindles.
The smaller collets for it can leave gripping marks on smaller diameter work but the larger ones (up to 1-3/8") are really great.
I have the smaller harder to find model 500 on my 1-1/2" spindle Maximat lathe which goes up to 1" dia capacity.

Last edited:
The Rovi stuff looks interesting but I'm sure the prices will make you lightheaded
Collet systems in the 2" range are incredibly expensive
Could you use a set-tru type chuck instead?
The 3Js only go up to 1.5" I think and runout usually around 1 thou which
a set-tru can do or better

...I'm only going to be working with parts under 3" long to just over 2" in diameter.

How long? There are 5C collets that can hold larger diameter parts (large diameter and short length) that may do what you want. Most larger diameter parts are well served by a 3-jaw.

Y'all are right. I'm going to stick with the 3 jaw and 4 jaw until I just need to upgrade in case i need to do more of the same thing. The pricing on the Rovi chuck wasn't all that bad considering- it would save time for setup.

Y'all are a wealth of knowledge and sanity.

Back