3D Printing Houses!

The result is actually quite nice!

I don’t know what the correct word is in English, but I like the “finger panely” look created by the printing process.

E: I looked it up and tambour is the word I was searching for.

Showed this to a friend who’s an architect and currently designs CLT houses.

He was a bit skeptical that 3D printed homes would ever be a commercially viable option. Apparently concrete element manufacturing is cheaper and more efficient. At least this is the situation here in the Nordics.

He also told me that people came up with the initial idea in 1930s, which ofc is way before the term 3D printing was coined.

Still, doesn’t stop me from wanting a 3D printed house :chunky:

The result is actually quite nice!

I don’t know what the correct word is in English, but I like the “finger panely” look created by the printing process.

E: I looked it up and tambour is the word I was searching for.
"Stratified" would be another English word that could be used to describe that look.

Yes it looks pretty cool. I'd like to see more detail on how they handle electrical and plumbing.

"Stratified" would be another English word that could be used to describe that look.

Yes it looks pretty cool. I'd like to see more detail on how they handle electrical and plumbing.
At about 3:03 in the video, he shows what looks like hollow exterior wall construction, and mentions blown foam insulation. I'd surmise that the electrical and plumbing are installed inside these wall cavities before the foam is blown in. If so, later maintenance/modifications/repairs might be pretty durn complicated.

More info here:

Here is a long but thorough and interesting walkthrough of the project in Georgetown, Texas.

While it is exciting to see this technology actually put to large scale practical use, I have a lot of questions and remain skeptical around the long term value of the property…I.e. this smells like a product idea with built in obsolescence. Or to put it more plainly, these are manufactured black boxes. Another movement in construction is container homes. In both cases, you are building something very, very permanent.

It would be extremely costly to remodel or add-on in the future given the method of construction and resulting aesthetics. So, high initial cost and high maintenance costs? We will see how this plays out in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here, mind-blowing, the Moon is next!

It would be extremely costly to remodel or add-on in the future given the method of construction and resulting aesthetics. So, high initial cost and high maintenance costs? We will see how this plays out in the future.
Just got back from a trip with a stopover in Montenegro. One of the hotels we stayed in was built of cubic stone blocks, about 1ft per side, laid down about 1200 years ago.
Maybe these are meant to last like that?

Back