3D printed change gears

walterwoj

Registered
Registered
I've been relaxedly looking for metric change gears for my Shelden EXL-56-P (EXL-24124) lathe. I have only found them at fairly high prices. Then I found some that appear to be NEW 3D Printed on eBay and the like. Well, this got me thinking, I have a 3d printer, and a lathe and mill, why can't I 3d print them?

First, does anyone know of a source for a full set of gear designs?

Failing that does anyone have a full set they are willing to take pictures and measurements of? I can design them in fusion 360 and print and test them, I'll make them available for free here if I can get me all the relevant info.

If you know the, no. of teeth. modulus, and pressure angle, you should be able to lay out your gears. I believe the that the 3D models found on McMaster Carr and SDP-SI are fairly accurate and they can be downloaded as IGES or STL files. There is a website on line that has equations for SolidWorks which will create geometrically correct models of any gear. http://thebloughs.net/involute-gear-generation-in-solidworks/

Thank you but I have no idea about any of those details as I don't have the kit, this post was to ask someone FOR that info.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Do you know what your mounting shafts are? And what set of gears you need?
If you own -zero- gears you can choose 14.5 vs 20 degree pressure angle... if you own some gears you want to match what you have.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I wanted to resurrect this thread because I have had recent success 3D printing change gears for my Emco Maximat V10. Once I found the Modulus of the gears it was very easy to model all the change gears from my Lathe's spare parts list in SolidWorks. (Mod 1 in this case). IMG_8395.jpg With a some quick google searches I was able to find the gear diameters for each Mod 1 tooth number. My lathe uses 10mm bore.Gear Sizes.PNG
I printed a few that I needed to try and the strength of the gear with a 50% infill has stood up to several heavy threading operations. I'm pretty impressed with this solution.IMG_8394.jpg
This 45T has been installed for a few weeks. I can see no visible degradation or wear.
IMG_8393.jpg
If anyone with their own 3D Printer is interested in the STL files for a set of change gears for a Maximat V10 just let me know.

My lathe (1.5 kW motor) is running for more than a year on 3 3D printed PLA gears. I have made POM gears as well but if the 3D printed gears break, I will replace them by 3D printed gears because I prefer breaking a 3D printed gear than breaking other parts of the lathe.

These plastic gears also run more silent than the metal gears.

I make my gear designs using the gear design tools in FreeCad.

One of the gears on the F/R selector on my Sheldon had a chip, so I 3D printed a replacement. It's been on there for at least six months and zero issues or obvious wear. I printed a couple spares just in case, but that's mostly in case I do something dumb!

One of the gears on the F/R selector on my Sheldon had a chip, so I 3D printed a replacement. It's been on there for at least six months and zero issues or obvious wear. I printed a couple spares just in case, but that's mostly in case I do something dumb!
Could you tell me what the specs are for a gear on your Sheldon and what model it is? Mine has straight cut gears and am missing the 127 gear. Was thinking I could possibly print one if I knew what profile of gear it was

Could you tell me what the specs are for a gear on your Sheldon and what model it is? Mine has straight cut gears and am missing the 127 gear. Was thinking I could possibly print one if I knew what profile of gear it was
My Sheldon is an EM-56P (13"). The gears are all 16DP with 20PA, but I know at some point Sheldon switched to 14.5PA. Someone uploaded an STL file for the 127T, 16DP, 20A gear to the Sheldon Lathe Yahoo group page earlier this year if you're interested in that....pretty sure it's in the files section.

Is there a link to the group and files section?

Back