3C vs ER40 collets

calstar

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an Atlas 12x36, think of getting collets for it, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the 3C vs ER40? If I go with the 3C I can make the drawbar( I believe a drawbar gets a better "grip" on the collet in the holder), have assorted handles, so I will just need to buy the collets. Here is there er40 set I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ER40-ER...0?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item5d49c5827a

Seems like I've read that the MT3 has some issues(gets stuck, loosens, don't remember) when used in a MT3 headstock spindle, info??

thanks, Brian

Last edited:
I think the main issue you would run into is the fact that a MT3 Collet chuck has no thrrough hole, so you are limited to parts that can fit in the chuck. Also, on ER collets, you need to have the part at least 2/3 of the way into the clamping region. On larger sizes that is about 30mm. if you need to hold very short parts, you might need to put a spacer in to make up the difference in length.

On the other hand, 3C collets seem to be rather expensive.

I Looooove my ER40 set up on my lathe, I looked for a while and settled on the ER set up and I couldn't be happier.....

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> ER40
Cheaper than 3C
Larger griping range
Metric and SAE and everything in between
With a ER40 holder that fits on same as your chuck you can work on a long shaft through the spindle

3C
Will hold short (.250 or less) pieces better

After a lot of research and thought I made my ER40 holder for my 12x36 craftsman atlas lathe and it works great.
doubleboost on youtube has a good series on building one.

This is just my opion.

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Back