#35 chain too small?

Peyton Price 17

Registered
Registered
on my mini bike, it has a #35 chain on it. it has a modified hf 212cc engine to go up to 5000rpm instead of 3800. the chain snaps if you have it wide open on a constant hill, or sling down too fast with a foot brake. the wheelbase is 33 inches and it goes up to 34 mph before blowing a chain. It will pop a wheelie going 30 if you don't lean forward. I was thinking, 1 cut the frame and lengthen it and drop a bigger engine, a racing mower engine, and make it a #41 or #61 chain, 2 make it a #40 or #41 chain, 3 put on a smaller rear sprocket for less torque and more speed. Don't worry we wear helmets. Best part is that the engine is a Hemi and sounds like a v-8.

#35 is pretty small and breaks easily as I remember from my mini-bike days. I had a jackshaft though with 35 from the engine to the shaft and 41 from the shaft to the wheel
-Mark

If I remember correctly #40 and #41 chain have the same pitch. #41 is preferred on bicycles because it is thinner allowing thinner sprockets and more clearance between the pedals and the chain sprockets.

There is nothing wrong with the #35 size chain, it's been used on racing go karts for decades, at speeds and torque you will never see on your mini bike. Your problem is the chain you have is probably cheap chinesium junk, compounded by stamped sprockets that are less than precision and never run true. Add in a little slack, misalignment, frame flex and engine vibration and you have the situation you are in.
(I'm guessing this is a chinese mini bike..........am I right?)

I would try a top quality chain before giving up on that size of chain. I'm with derf, all chains were not created equal.

Back