$3495 for an Atlas shaper?

I just offered him $50.
I'm thinking he is going to say no. LOL.
Apparently he did not set a "reject offers lower than" number.

It is weird that anybody thinks a 7b, probably the most prevalent small shaper, should be in a museum. Don’t get me wrong, I find mine very useful but it’s not the most advanced or unique design. It has many design faults. And because of that it’s not a replacement for a mill it’s just a useful tool for certain things. I could get by without it but I’d miss it. And if they were all $2k and more I never would have bought one. It’s just bizarre they have appreciated so much in some people’s minds. I keep thinking this is just a fluke but it’s getting more common.

The ones that sell are in the 1000-1200 dollar range. Maybe a bit more if it is really nice with the original legs and the seller and buyer are close to each other. Anything over 1500 dollars just seems to sit and get relisted week after week.

"Museum Quality" says to me that it doesn't run, is worn out, but has a fresh coat of paint. There are people that will buy a nice paint job over good condition any day.

The paint is definitely scary, but the fact the case door is missing is a big no no for me. You get dirt and grit in there and it’s a major tear down to clean up. If it’s been run with dirt and grit it’s now a boat anchor. And with all the grease on the bull gear and the mechanicals in there you have major problem. That was the second thing I looked at on mine after the ratchet box. Mine had all the goodies except the motor belt cover. The best thing though was the price, $125. Couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough after I picked my jaw up off the floor. To be sure it has its problems but except for the motor belt cover the only part it needed was a motor start capacitor.

Serously not a good machine. The new paint could cover cracks and abuse. Frankly it looks like a 500$ machine with a new paint job. "Museum quality" means he's not a machinist and doesn't know what he has. Run away! I bought a10" shaper last fall for $700, and I can get a fully restored Peerless 9" (fully rebuilt) for $750 in Canuckistan dollars.

Serously not a good machine. The new paint could cover cracks and abuse. Frankly it looks like a 500$ machine with a new paint job. "Museum quality" means he's not a machinist and doesn't know what he has. Run away! I bought a10" shaper last fall for $700, and I can get a fully restored Peerless 9" (fully rebuilt) for $750 in Canuckistan dollars.
In my mind it's not even worth $500.00. There have been a few nicely equipped AMMCO machines that have come up for sale in this area. A complete machine in running condition with accessories usually goes for $400.00 to $600.00

It wasn't that long ago they were giving them away at scrap prices or less. The one I bought came up for sale at an auction when the Badger Ordinance plant was closed down. The first time it came up for bidding there were no offers. It was immediately withdrawn and bundled with a dividing head and a few other goodies. The second time around the entire lot sold for less than $200.00. A friend of mine was looking for a dividing head so he bought the lot. He knew I was looking for a shaper so he offered it to me.

Here's a couple pictures of a sub $200.00 machine. It came complete with a stand, an OD paint job, and a War Board tag. It probably wouldn't be considered "Museum Quality" so if I ever sell it I'll ask only $3295.00.
DSC09994A.jpg
DSC09996A.jpg

Would love to have the big pulley guard, but they're going for stupid money now too.

Common, you guys know the drill.

"What's that thing still doing in the garage? I thought you were going to sell it last year...."

John

Back