$3495 for an Atlas shaper?

This is significantly overpriced, but these things are going WAY up in price. I have one without the vise and a non-original stand (that, admittedly is otherwise in great shape) that I listed for $2k expecting a bunch of tire kickers/negotiating. I ended up getting about a dozen messages about it. 2 offering me $1000, about 7 offering me the full $2k to pick it up 'today', and a couple more (after I marked it 'pending') offering me even more if I'd sell it to them.

I ended up picking someone who is going to do all the work to move my NEW shaper into my shop, but probably could have got $2500 for it at the end of the day.

I just don't get it. People seem to be spending almost any price for a little 'nostalgia'.

As a working machine, not junk, I still think 500$ is about right. Of course, junk price is less, but that's lazy or bad marketing. The overzealous pricing seems to be taking advantage of people that will probably never use it. These are decorating prices, not workmanlike machine prices.

Congrats on getting a bundle for your machine @ErichKeane - not my way, but congrats nonetheless.

I just don't get it. People seem to be spending almost any price for a little 'nostalgia'.

As a working machine, not junk, I still think 500$ is about right. Of course, junk price is less, but that's lazy or bad marketing. The overzealous pricing seems to be taking advantage of people that will probably never use it. These are decorating prices, not workmanlike machine prices.

Congrats on getting a bundle for your machine @ErichKeane - not my way, but congrats nonetheless.

I don't think it is nostalgia so much as a bunch of youtubers (like Abom79) showing off that they are interesting and fun machines. Basically, it is a massive increase in demand from a bunch of people who like to watch these videos, and decide they would love one of these machines.

However, something big like a 24" Cincinnati doesn't fit in a home shop/garage shop, so smaller ones end up being quite valuable (same reason why a 10" Logan and a 25" pacemaker tend to go about the same price).

I'll admit, I picked one up because of the youtubers and found the Atlas. I've realized how versatile of a machine it is, so jumped at the chance to get a bigger one, same as I did with moving from a 10" logan to a 16" RP.

Welp, he turned down my offer of $50. Who'd a thunk it....

Side note... I just sold my PM1022 lathe for more than I paid for it 5 years ago. Listed it Thursday night. Gone Friday morning.

There is an original one on E-Bay for $275 right now.
I saw that one come up, too pricey for me and it doesn't have the knob. And I still have to refinish it to match my machine. I have the hinge, just need the guard. I am thinking $100 tops for one, maybe.

If that one was in perfect running order complete with all the accessories, vise, RT, indexer etc it would still be over priced but at least then I could see some logic as the bits do add up quickly and takes time to find. I've seen nicer ones at less than half that price.

I guess there are people where the money isn't a big deal, must be nice. When I was buying tires last year a guy came in a spent $3500 on a set of fancy rims for his truck, personally I'd rather have the shaper.

Back