3 Phase Motor Wiring Question

Wheresmywrench?

Active User
Registered
I just got back a 3 phase motor, European WEN motor, back from the rewinder and have a wiring question.
Based on the wiring diagram I have it says.

Speed L1 L2 L3 Typical Connection
High 6 4 5 1&2&3 JOIN 2 WYE
Low 1 2 3 4 - 5 - 6 OPEN 1 DELTA

Can I just use regular contactors to switch speeds or do I need to add a second contactor so that 1 2 3 are joined when I run in high speed? This is a constant torque connection.

Thanks
Richard

I just got back a 3 phase motor, European WEN motor, back from the rewinder and have a wiring question.
Based on the wiring diagram I have it says.

Speed L1 L2 L3 Typical Connection
High 6 4 5 1&2&3 JOIN 2 WYE
Low 1 2 3 4 - 5 - 6 OPEN 1 DELTA

Can I just use regular contactors to switch speeds or do I need to add a second contactor so that 1 2 3 are joined when I run in high speed? This is a constant torque connection.

Thanks
Richard
You must join 1, 2, and 3 for high speed. The rewinder should be able to advise on how to wire your controller. Note that with that connection you wll have half power in low speed.

Here this a picture of what I have tried to explain if it helps. What I want to be able to run in both high and low speed. Since I have to join 1 2 3 to run in high speed. will a second contactor that joins 123 when I switch to high speed work? Or should I just run in low speed? It's a two speed motor.

IMG_20150617_0001.jpg

Last edited:
You have six wires to switch so you need two contactors to be able to select speeds.

Yes that I understand but will I need to short the 1 2 3 wires together, motor side, when selecting high speed?

You also have to switch the power to the other set of leads.

Back