3 Ph Changer

gotogojo

Active User
Registered
a man using a 15 hp 3 ph Baylor motor double shafted .as a rotary changer while driving a 10 hp 3 ph motor . put 16 gal a min. hyd pump on one of the shafts to dr the 10 hp?? one the pump or the 10 hp would be under power never both at the same time running but not under a load like some info on this b 4 going much farther and then not have it work in the end got a long list of that kind of a operation now i don.t need it added on to thanks gotogojo

Let me see if I understand. You have a 15HP three-phase motor you are using as a rotary phase converter, This converter is used to supply three-phase power to a 10HP three-phase motor. You want to rig the 15HP motor to either drive a hydraulic pump or to continue to act as a rotary converter but never both at once. Is this correct?

thanks for all the come backs john has it a bout rite need the 15 hp to make 3 ph power to run the 10 hp the 10 hp will run a cut off saw for fire wood 32 in round blade the wood drops done to be split . the blade will be still turning but not cutting then move log for ward . so you need some power to the hyd pump for the splitter to work why not take it off the 15 hp? its not working too jobs at any time.??? thanks again

Should work but you won't get full power out of the 15HP. You'll want to leave the 10HP running. It will act as a rotory converter for the 15HP.

You likely do not have enough power from the electric company to run these motors unless you have a big generator or industrial electrical service. You need to determine how many amps 10 hp + an idling 15 hp motor need. While it may be possible to run the hydraulic pump and saw off of the same motor, both use some power at idle. The best choice for you, may be to find a way to power the saw with 1 gasoline engine to drive both the saw and hydraulic pump. If you are using a motor as a phase converter it may only have about 1/3 or 1/2 its rated power. You would have to make sure there is no voltage drop at the other motor. When voltage at the motor drops below 110 volts, the temperature goes up which damages the insulation on the windings. You may not have that concern in the winter there in the U.P.

Last edited:
Two motors: a 15HP being used as a rotory converter and a 10HP driving a saw. He wants to put a pump on the 15HP and use the pump only when the 10HP is not under load. That will work as long as the 10HP is kept spinning (but unloaded) to act as a converter while the 15HP is loaded and the load on the hydraulic pump is light.

I am having trouble understanding the 3 motors. You can not use a motor as a generator in most cases. You likely do not have enough power from the electric company to run these motors unless you have a big generator or industrial electrical service. While it may be possible to run the hydraulic pump and saw off of the same motor, both use some power at idle. The best choice for you, may be to find a way to power the saw with 1 gasoline engine to drive both the saw and hydraulic pump.
I don.t see where you are getting 3 motors all the 15 hp does when it is used as a rotary converter is put out just short of what the hp is on the tag. so 15 hp 3 ph will run 2 five hp and a 3 hp all at one time all 3 ph. all day long. google the automation store tw controls mite help with there info on this thanks for the come back gotogojo

The 10 horse motor will need at least 50 amps 220 and the rotary phase converter will need about 20 amps or more to do what you are trying to do. Do you have a 75 amp branch circuit near this machine? Remember, the amperage listed on the 3 phase motors is for regular 3 phase. As you convert the 220 to 3 phase you need more amperage because you only start with 2 phases and there is some resistance created by the rotary phase converter.

I had the (perhaps erroneous) impression that he already had the setup running and just wants to add the pump.

Back