3 Lead Reversing Motor

"you will make L2 your neutral connection @ Motor terminal 4
L1 will go to the common (center) terminal of the SPDT switch
the #1 motor terminal gets a wire from one side of the SPDT switch
the #2 motor terminal will get a wire from the other side of the SPDT switch
when you throw the switch either way you'll be completing the motor circuit in it's respective bias,
the neutral has already been supplied and is not switched in this scenario."

IMG_9143_zpshchjk5dd.jpg

IMG_9144_zpsrw5pbds1.jpg

Lets see if I have this right. The neutral from my 120vac source goes to terminal 4, replacing L1 (which I presume is the nuetral) in diagram above?
Then L1 (the hot wire from my 120vac source) goes to the common (center) terminal of the SPDT switch, then the red and black wires on terminal 1 and 2(see pic above) go to either side of the SPDT? Want to be sure I have this right before sending power to the motor.

thanks, Brian

Last edited:
Lets see if I have this right. The neutral from my 120vac source goes to terminal 4, replacing L1 (which I presume is the neutral) in diagram above?
Then L1 (the hot wire from my 120vac source) goes to the common (center) terminal of the SPDT switch, then the red and black wires on terminal 1 and 2(see pic above) go to either side of the SPDT? Want to be sure I have this right before sending power to the motor.
thanks, Brian[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian
sorry for the delay in response.
let's say you are hooking up a 3 wire cord and plug arrangement to this motor,
you'll connect the wire that's on motor terminal 4(white) to neutral of the power cord L2
L1 will go to the center terminal of your SPDT switch, supplying power to the switch, you'll put the black wire from the power cord here.
hook the black wire that is connected to Motor terminal 1 (as pictured) to the either end terminal of the SPDT switch.
hook the red wire connected to Motor 2 to the remaining terminal on the SPDT switch.
connect green or bare ground wire to motor frame or electrical enclosure non insulated screw,
connect the power cord into 110vac and throw the switch in either direction
if the motor goes the right way, you are done
if the motor is reverse, simply reverse the wires on switch end terminals and your motor will run the correct direction.
i hope the instructions are easy to understand, but if you have any questions please ask
there are no dumb questions :)

Last edited:
Got it running, thanks so much to all who helped! Certainly is a reducer, motor 1725rpm drum at 6rpm!

Brian

Back