3 Lead Reversing Motor

calstar

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got this from the scrap yard, need some info on the motor like how do I hook up a manual switch for it, what type of switch, etc. Unless it was on a fairly long run I don't get why it used #10 wire for only 4 amps. Why is there no ground wire, was it relying on the flex conduit for the ground? . All made in USA; had a short section of 1/4" stainless cable on the drum. Pretty nice unit; if possible I want to make some sort of shop lift with it.

thanks, Brian

Electra-Gear History

B-EL.jpg
Founded in 1946, Electra-Gear is a leading supplier of industrial duty aluminum gear reducers, offering unsurpassed advantages of weight reduction and surface durability to alternative cast iron models and cost savings to stainless steel. Electra-Gear was acquired in 1989 by Regal-Beloit Corporation, a worldwide manufacturer of mechanical and electrical motion control products. Today, Electra-Gear products are manufactured in Union Grove, Wisconsin by Grove Gear and sold through LEESON Electric sales offices throughout the world.

Electra-Gear products are built for industrial use and are already used in most markets, including: boat lifts, car washes, door and gate openers, material handling, packaging machinery, medical specialties, power generation, exercise and recreation equipment. All Electra products have numerous features making them easy to install in new applications or as replacements to many popular brands. Electra-Gear is also well known for custom-designed or modified worm and helical gear products to meet customers’ strictest application requirements.

BM-EL.jpg

Combine an aluminum Electra-Gear reducer with a LEESON or Lincoln stainless steel motor to instantly create a performance-matched and paint-free Gear+Motor to meet the standards of most severe environments with single source responsibility and quick availability.

Download the EL Series catalog
here.

IMG_9138_zpsi3zcro11.jpg

IMG_9136_zpsvm2rpune.jpg

IMG_9133_zpspjvixzpw.jpg

IMG_9143_zpshchjk5dd.jpg

IMG_9144_zpsrw5pbds1.jpg

IMG_9141_zpsu4s54jki.jpg

Last edited:
14 AWG would be plenty large unless a very long run. 10AWG might have been the only wire he had available. You would need a single pole, double throw center of, momentary contact switch. Make sure the switch is rated for 120v and at least 6 amps. 10 amps would be better.

I don't understand, are there 2 hot wires coming in to the motor, red and black, white neutral? No ground; or conduits the ground path? And both throws are momentary?

Thanks, Brian

Last edited:
you will make L1 your neutral connection @ Motor terminal 4
L2 will go to the common (center) terminal of the SPDT switch
the #1 motor terminal gets a wire from one side of the SPDT switch
the #2 motor terminal will get a wire from the other side of the SPDT switch
when you throw the switch either way you'll be completing the motor circuit in it's respective bias,
the neutral has already been supplied and is not switched in this scenario.

Last edited:
Previous owner used either the mounting metal for ground or the greenfield. Greenfield with proper connectors is usually NEC compliant for grounding under 20 amps. Some cheap greenfield isn't listed as a grounding conductor.

Let's complicate matters!The power from the control switch will have to go through the proper limit switch before the motor connection. To test, carefully run the motor so that the switch activator is near the center of the lead screw. Run the motor and manually trip the switch the activator is moving toward. If the motor stops you have it wired correctly. If it doesn't stop you'll need to reverse the wires to the switches.

....The power from the control switch will have to go through the proper limit switch before the motor connection. To test, carefully run the motor so that the switch activator is near the center of the lead screw. Run the motor and manually trip the switch the activator is moving toward. If the motor stops you have it wired correctly. If it doesn't stop you'll need to reverse the wires to the switches.

I should have clearly stated I do not want to use the rotary limit switch, just one switch for direct manual control.

thanks, Brian

No ground; or conduits the ground path?

As stated above, some jurisdictions allow flexible metallic conduit to act as a ground conductor, but there is a green ground screw provided on your motor electrical box for a ground conductor.

Ted

Back