3 Jaw Chuck Grease

I have seen chucks with lube fittings. I believe Buck has some, and Pratt Burnerd as well. Could be others easily. The ones I remember seeing were all adjustable scroll chucks, like the Adjust-Tru style.

Buck recommends Forkardt PF on their instruction sheet:

http://www.buckchuckusa.com/userfiles/How to Mount and Operate(2).pdf

It's a good read, anyway. Lots of things there that would apply to any 3 jaw.

Thanks a lot Tony!

I'll read that. I reassembled the chuck now, with some SuperLube grease I had sitting around in the closed bevel gears, and I oiled the top.
I can easily disassemble it again if I it isn't working out- and pre-order the proper grease!

Bernie

Wow, not easy to find... Lot's of discussion about Forkardt PF2, but not much to buy! Hah hah

Bernie

That chuck is in excellent condition. I use (CLP actual name) Breakfree and wipe it clean as possible for most lathe lubing. Gun hobbyists posted it permeates metal over time. It does polish steel nicely with cloth.

Last edited:
Thanks Burnrider-

That sounds great to clean it.
What do you use to lube your chucks?

Bernie

I use clp all the time Clean Lube Protect Great stuff.

So, a little update.

First of all, the old adage "when you assume, you ,ale an ass out of you and me". One of the first statements I made was "this is not a grease oil discussion, as there is a Zerk fitting right on top"
... Well, I was wrong! .. I love finding out I am wrong when I learn something new. :)

Upon further grilling of a some lubrication-informed people I know, this is NOT a Zerk fitting for grease, but a pressure OIL fitting. I should have a gun similar to a grease gun, but filled with oil, and push it in there. Makes sense, as this would tend to push debris out of the chuck over time.

I will be looking for an oil gun like this, with a Zerk looking fitting at the end.

When I had the chuck apart, I still SuperLubed the pinion gears below, but Vactra way oil on the scroll. I probably should have used light spindle oil to help chips move freely away. I will continue with that.

Bernie

Bernie, look around on Utube for a vidio on proper lube for a Bridgeport. I believe the guy has the
company that makes them for around 25 bucks in his vidio. Not to hard to make think of one shop oiler.
Just thinking, how about a small grease gun and take out the plunger weld up the plunger hole and
put oil in its barrel.

Back