3/8 Bolts W/strength???

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I need couple of carriage bolts for my swivel compound slide that has some strength to them.I did google bolts and found out that fine thread is stronger than coarse thread.So I went to McMaster-Carr and there is not a lot of selection for carriage bolts.Either grade 5 or 316 Stainless steel in fine or coarse threads,so which one is stronger?Thanks guys----kroll

Guys I need couple of carriage bolts for my swivel compound slide that has some strength to them.I did google bolts and found out that fine thread is stronger than coarse thread.So I went to McMaster-Carr and there is not a lot of selection for carriage bolts.Either grade 5 or 316 Stainless steel in fine or coarse threads,so which one is stronger?Thanks guys----kroll

Check out the about at the top of this page.http://www.mcmaster.com/#carriage-and-plow-bolts/=10jhsrs The Grade 5 are approximately 30% stronger than the 8-18 or 316

............... see below

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for an app called iEngineer.

Can we see a picture of where you need it to go?

Yes sir,thanks guys for replying.Can't tell by looking at the old bolts but one of them is bent some.The heads enters from underneath into the slot,this is for my Colchester latheDSC02863.JPG

Take the tensile strength times the cross section area for the maximum load (?). I recall stress being force per unit area. So stress times the area should give the force.

For example, the tap drill for a 3/8" x 16 is 5/16" or a diameter of 0.3125". Pi x D / 4 is the area or 0.0767 sq. inches. For a 100,000 psi material that'd give a load of 7670 lbs. I'm assuming no stress riser from the thread (like a sharp notch). A fine pitch 3/8" x 24 bolt has a larger cross section so it would break at a higher load.

As I recall from my mechanics class, tensile strength is the top of the curve for stress vs. strain. The material has an elastic region where it deflects proportionally to the load. Then it starts to permanently deform (plastic region). When the deformation (strain) is a 0.2% of the original length, that load (stress or force/unit area) is the yield strength.

The curve knees over at that point and reaches a peak (tensile strength). At which point it starts moving downhill until it ultimately fractures. Google stress vs. strain diagram for more info (probably already more than you want to know . . .).

Or ignore most of what I typed and go for the grade 8 bolts recommended above!

Bruce

Last edited:
Back