2x72 belt grinder build

When I referred to "French drain" I meant one of your existing runs of perforated pipe (20 feet away?).

Do you take the bet?

What stakes?

I say less than a year for sink under roof.

LOL

When I referred to "French drain" I meant one of your existing runs of perforated pipe (20 feet away?).

Do you take the bet?

What stakes?

I say less than a year for sink under roof.

LOL
1 year from today. Yes, I'll take that bet. I have the bridge cranes, a CNC VMC, and a plasma table on my wish list first.

Mid July, 2023, I hit 59 1/2. Then I can officially access the bulk of my retirement without IRS penalty. Until then I'm living on what I allotted to keep under my 457(b) (or something like that.) Unless prostate cancer recurs I don't get any special medical exemptions, and I'm not hoping for that option, as it would mean it was metastatic.

The existing french drains are about 3' from the building perimeter.

1 year from today. Yes, I'll take that bet. I have the bridge cranes, a CNC VMC, and a plasma table on my wish list first.

Mid July, 2023, I hit 59 1/2. Then I can officially access the bulk of my retirement without IRS penalty. Until then I'm living on what I allotted to keep under my 457(b) (or something like that.) Unless prostate cancer recurs I don't get any special medical exemptions, and I'm not hoping for that option, as it would mean it was metastatic.

Yea, I don't think you are the type that will change on that. I figure you thought it out, weighed the facts/costs/issues/taxes and made your decision. I don't think you took it lightly.

This project has languished on the sidelines as I work on building the new shop. The recent combination of missing the machining work, and slowing down on finishing the shop due to a break in the budget, meant I spent a bit of time on it in the last couple of days. Got the platten and table finished, other than needing a small lip on the bottom of the platten for the glass facing. Still need to make the tensioner/tracking arm.

View attachment 411381View attachment 411382View attachment 411383View attachment 411384

The last picture shows the table rotated 90 degrees to facilitate edge sanding. If you look back through the CAD design, the whole base/motor rotates so that the edge sanding can be done in a horizontal orientation, I currently just have things clamped together so rotating the whole base is not currently trivial. I need to make the clamping bolts and misc little pieces as well. This things is going to be incredibly heavy, that's what I get for overbuilding everything.

Anyhow, back to building the new shop. Got to crawl under the house (crawl space, barely) and hook up the water line.
Is that a Binford?

That requires a place for the water to go. A connection to a septic tank would be the typical answer. The shop is slightly downhill of the septic tank. Adding "indoor plumbing" changes the tax base too. Having a water hydrant right outside the door means I can still wash my hands easily enough.

1656159595899.png

@Dhal22
If you think about needing to keep a sewer line below the frost line, you’d have to bury the pump in the ground to work.

Yea, I don't think you are the type that will change on that. I figure you thought it out, weighed the facts/costs/issues/taxes and made your decision. I don't think you took it lightly.
A big part of that thought process is that which side of the door I have to step to to wash my hands, or fill a water bottle, etc, doesn't matter to me. Nor am I bashful about stepping outside to water a tree. What would matter is having a toilet. Because Crohn's disease. Which means a septic tank. Fortunately the current medication (stellera) is working well, although that will likely change over time as biologics tend to wain in efficacy. At which point a plumbing project will arise.

But we spent much of last summer replacing the polybutylene in the house. I'm not a fan of working on plumbing. I'd like to get back to machining, woodworking, and electronics. I have a long list of remodeling things to be done on the house too. So I'm inclined to minimize such things as far as the shop, and get to using the shop for projects, rather than being the project. That's a big part of the reason I took a break from that to work on this belt grinder.

Last edited:

May you live a long and healthy retirement.
I’m having a ball. On a three week trip up the Pacific Northwest.

Not trying to "kick you out the door" into retirement early, but I was advised that if you are truly retired, you can touch your 401K starting at age 55 without the 10% penalty. Something about taking out substantially equal amounts based on life expectancy. If your job stinks, you may check into it. I waited until I was 62+ to retire; didn't hate what I did, worked with good people. It was getting harder and harder to get up at 5:30 AM though, glad I retired!

Bruce

Back