2410 stone needed

Jerry Roy

Registered
Registered
Howdy all,

I have an Atlas #2410 Grinder-Hone that has the hone stone broken. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement?

Thanks, Jerry

Since it spins so slowly, you can use just about anything that is 5" diameter and your preferred thickness (my stone is 1" thick, though it stands 1/2" proud of the "cup" that it sits in). Choose your grit. The one oddity is the square hole in the center. I used a square nut and a strip of aluminum shaped to fit the 1" hole in my stone to hold it in place. It's a bit crude, but functions just fine. I've been using it like this for the past 15 years or so with no issues. Keep in mind that whatever you use will get wet if you use it as a wet stone as intended. I used aluminum because it shapes easily and won't rust.

I suppose another, cleaner option would be to fill the center hole in the stone with JB Weld, then drill and tap it to fit the threaded spindle on the top of the grinder/hone. If i were doing it again, i might go that route with a 3/4" thick wheel.

IMG_3931.JPGIMG_3932.JPGIMG_3933.JPGIMG_3935.JPGIMG_3934.JPG

Thanks guys,

I like the "make your own" idea. I can take the center out of the broken stone and epoxy it into the new stone.

The original stone was two sided, different grit, so I figured that 3/8 inch thick wheels glued back to back would be the ticket.
Unfortunately wheels in very fine grit, 5 inch diameter and that thickness seem to be on the same shelf with the hens teeth.
Back to the drawing board.

You can buy diamond plated lapidary discs from China. They are inexpensive. You will need a backing because they are very thin. Super glue it to a disc of MDF or whatever. They are available down to 3000 grit.

Last edited:
Thanks, that sounds like a workable answer..
Do you have a source that you could recommend? Habba Fleight is the only source I know, and I didn't see anything like that on my last visit.
Are they 5 inch or close in diameter?

If you go the diamond plate route, make sure whatever backing you use is water proof. If you ever use a water slurry to keep the diamond plate from getting fouled with the swarf, you'll need the substrate to handle it ok. Perhaps a piece of MDO (exterior rated mdf), pvc, aluminum, or something else that will handle water without warping or disintegrating.

Back