220V Miller Machine, Dedicated for Spool Gun

So, like I said, the 350P costs too much. I am back to probably a Millermatic 255 with an appropriate push-pull gun.

I would still consider a Millermatic 252, but I wonder if Miller will phase these out in the next few years, even though they are clearly bombproof.

I have no idea if Miller will phase out the 252, but I wouldn't let that influence your decision at all. Miller supports their older machines extremely well. Most of the parts for any Millermatic going back 30+ years are still available and the reality is that a transformer machine is far less likely to fail.

Don't you already have a Millermatic 252? I thought you were looking to get another machine dedicated to FCAW?

I have no idea if Miller will phase out the 252, but I wouldn't let that influence your decision at all. Miller supports their older machines extremely well. Most of the parts for any Millermatic going back 30+ years are still available and the reality is that a transformer machine is far less likely to fail.

Don't you already have a Millermatic 252? I thought you were looking to get another machine dedicated to FCAW?

I have a Millermatic 252 set up for MIG now; it is a winner. I am saving up for a Millermatic 255 that I will use for MIG, and then my existing 252 will be dedicated to flux core.

I will then save up for a dedicated “wire feed aluminum” machine. The Millermatic 255 is looking like my choice now (because it can pulse), but I know that a 252 is VERY reliable. I don’t have to decide until September.

I am actually too lazy to switch wire, rollers, shielding gas, etc. & I just want to roll the welding cart over for the wire feed task at hand. A lot of people are lazy like that.

I have a Millermatic 252 set up for MIG now; it is a winner. I am saving up for a Millermatic 255 that I will use for MIG, and then my existing 252 will be dedicated to flux core.

I will then save up for a dedicated “wire feed aluminum” machine. The Millermatic 255 is looking like my choice now (because it can pulse), but I know that a 252 is VERY reliable. I don’t have to decide until September.

I am actually too lazy to switch wire, rollers, shielding gas, etc. & I just want to roll the welding cart over for the wire feed task at hand. A lot of people are lazy like that.
Gotcha. I haven't followed it too closely, but quite a few folks seem unhappy with the pulse function on the 255 which seems concerning since it's probably what makes folks pick that model. A friend just bought a 255 but I'm not sure if he's experimented with aluminum pulse yet since most of his projects are steel.

Gotcha. I haven't followed it too closely, but quite a few folks seem unhappy with the pulse function on the 255 which seems concerning since it's probably what makes folks pick that model. A friend just bought a 255 but I'm not sure if he's experimented with aluminum pulse yet since most of his projects are steel.

A Millermatic 252 is a known commodity & a safe choice. I don’t feel like I need pulse for aluminum.

I am picking up a Millermatic 255 in July (for use with steel), so I will get to try out it’s pulse functionality this summer. I have also read online about people’s difficulty with getting the 255 pulse going. I am also going to try spray transfer on that machine.

Last edited:
A Millermatic 252 is a known commodity & a safe choice. I don’t feel like I need pulse for aluminum.

I am picking up a Millermatic 255 in July (for use with steel), so I will get to try out it’s pulse functionality this summer. I have also read online about people’s difficulty with getting the 255 pulse going. I am also going to try spray transfer on that machine.

Don't recall if I asked before, but please do document your results with the appropriate shielding gas. Spray Transfer should not be a problem, as even the smaller Miller inverter MIGs can do it. I'm curious about seeing how it runs pulsed-spray by someone other than a Miller employee.

Don't recall if I asked before, but please do document your results with the appropriate shielding gas. Spray Transfer should not be a problem, as even the smaller Miller inverter MIGs can do it. I'm curious about seeing how it runs pulsed-spray by someone other than a Miller employee.

What Argon/Carbon Dioxide ratio do you recommend for spray transfer (ER70S-6)? FCAW-S? I know you posted this in another thread; as I recall, you said “at least 90% Ar”; presently, I don’t remember if that was for spray transfer (steel) or FCAW-S.

The reason I ask this is because I only have C25 cylinders now for my GMAW. When I buy cylinders for my FCAW-S machine (a Millermatic 252) and my Millermatic 255 (GMAW & GMAW-P), I wonder if I should choose 90/10 or 92/8 or something else (e.g. an active gas) for FCAW-S as well as spray transfer with solidcore steel.

I know that all GMAW with aluminum is 100% Argon.

Last edited:
Another thing: when I started stick welding, I bought the el cheapo (e.g. Made in Turkey) stick electrodes. They were fine, but then I tried Lincoln Electric 5P+ and Excalibur 7018MR which were a surprisingly large improvement. I only use those 2 electrodes now (except for E4043 and 1/16” 6013 & nobody cares about those).

I have not had that experience with any TIG, gas welding or brazing rod. I have only ever used cheap TIG and gas welding filler rod. For brazing, the C-04 (pretty expensive) and LFB (not expensive) seem to work about the same for me.

I wonder if there is a brand of flux core, ER70S-6, 4043 or 5356 wire that is a noticeable improvement. I have always bought the cheapest ER70S-6, & it seems fine.

Last edited:
What Argon/Carbon Dioxide ratio do you recommend for spray transfer (ER70S-6)? FCAW-S? I know you posted this in another thread; as I recall, you said “at least 90% Ar”; presently, I don’t remember if that was for spray transfer (steel) or FCAW-S.

The reason I ask this is because I only have C25 cylinders now for my GMAW. When I buy cylinders for my FCAW-S machine (a Millermatic 252) and my Millermatic 255 (GMAW & GMAW-P), I wonder if I should choose 90/10 or 92/8 or something else (e.g. an active gas) for FCAW-S as well as spray transfer with solidcore steel.

I know that all GMAW with aluminum is 100% Argon.

If you have a choice, go with 92/8. It will work just fine for both straight up axial spray transer and pulsed-spray. FCAW-S doesn't use gas (FCAW-S = Flux Core Arc Welding - Self-shield). FCAW-G does use a shielding gas, but you generally need either C100 or C25, depending on the actual wire classification (E71T-1C = needs C100, E71T-1M = needs C25, E71T-1C/1M = C100 or C25).

So unfortunately, if you plan to use gas-shielded flux core and spray transfer you will need two separate tanks of shielding gas.

I think you should get the 350P Aluminum. Just a few overtime days a month and you could have it. It is only money, can't take it with you.

Yes, exclusively!
I have watched videos on these spool guns for aluminum.
Apparently, it’s just as easy as MiG welding.
I suck at Tig welding aluminum. Steel, not so bad.
Please share your experience when you get there!

Back