220V Extension Cord for Welding

This is the 6-50R female that I will buy at Home Depot today:

93536FFA-F183-4DFF-9A35-01069DCDD175.jpeg

I ended up buying the extension cord below for $81.10 delivered.

I will have to make do with the 25’ length for financial reasons.

They did not have one in stock at any store around here, so Home Depot is going to ship it to my house for free.

I used triplex when I needed some extra distance for my welder. I just added a plug and socket to make up the extension. It's not very flexible but it doesn't need to be.

@RJSakowski

Like this?

There's nothing that I can add, in reality every situation is different. I have a Lincoln 225 buzz box (copper windings) that I converted to DC many years back. Most of my welding is in the 40-60 amp region with 1/8 4011 (I think) rods. Some of it is for my tractor accessories, some for shelf standards, things of that nature. The only thing that needed to be "accurate", I took to work and had a buddy weld. That was before 2005, so my memory has gotten a little fuzzy. . . He made the welds at 60ish amps on an industrial machine.

The point here is that at 60 amps at the electrode on the Lincoln (transformer type) the line load was well below 30 amps. When I rebuilt the machine, I included a 50 ft cord, replacing the OEM cord. I keep it in the barn and roll it outside to weld, no need for an extension. The OEM specification for 60 amps is around 50%. I am sure I have exceeded that several times. The cable I used was SO 8/3, ~50 feet, and has never gotten warm, well never above ambient. Although the plug is wired for and uses a 50 amp connector, the circuit breaker is a 30 amp 2 pole. I use the same plug for a generator when it's run, so the breaker is set to protect the genset. It has never tripped. . .

Although I have seen, but certainly don't agree with, using NM 10-2+G. Some jack leg wannabe fixers will do whatever is necessary.

My cord is 6/3. For 50 ft I would go no lighter. You also need to include the length of the line between the outlet you want to use and the main panel. My biggest draw is a 250A Miller AC/DC transformer machine. My MIG & TIG draw much less.

Last edited:
My welder outlet is under 10 feet of wire from the beaker to the outlet.
I have a 200 amp MIG welder, the factory power cord is 10 feet SO 8-2, I permanently lengthened that by adding 15 feet of SO 6-2, I also have a 75 foot extension cord that is 4-2 (I do not remember the type). It is not a type made for extension cord but in use it does not need to be flexible, It is used very seldom, like once every 5+ years, and I roll it into large coils to minimize the actual amount of bending that it sees.

Back