2023 Pass Around Box Mega Thread

Hey Everybody! Please take the time to read through this post when you have a minute. The purpose of this message is to reflect on our progress and to clarify the intentions of the rules and game itself.

This year we have tried a couple of new things with PAB. First, we have opened up the list to a lot more participants than past years. I think this was the right move and hasn't seemed to backfire on us. Everyone has been keeping the box moving along nicely, with few delays. (Now if we could just get those pesky mail carriers to run with the box a little faster...) We also have decided to keep the box moving perpetually, a rolling list of participants if you will. I think the jury is out on whether this worked to our advantage or not and we may decide to move in a different direction in the near future.

In the meantime, there are three things I want to share with you and ask that you consider to ensure the continued success of the Pass Around Box.

1) The box may be lacking in structural integrity and maintenance. This begs two questions: a) should it come back to a home base for repairs and b) is the box to big for its britches? One suggestion made earlier in its current journey was to break the box up into smaller themed boxes for members to pass around. I am looking for volunteers in this group to explore and brainstorm a little more on this. I think it is a worthy idea of seeing through and may prove to be of big benefit to our members here. Let me know if you are interested through PM.

2) The quality of the box contents is reported to be declining. I have received private messages from members, new and old to PAB, that perhaps the box is becoming a mobile junk drawer. I would like to remind all of us here that the idea of the Pass Around Box is to provide quality items of utility to a hobby machinist. That is NOT to be read as "new" or "expensive". Nor am I trying to disparage items placed in the box. I won't post pictures with the intent to single out members, however, the following examples may serve to illustrate the point:
  • random hardware (e.g., unlabeled or unorganized screws, washers, nuts)
  • dull, chipped, or reground tooling that doesn't appear to be salvageable by a hobby machinist
  • cheap throw away tools and trinkets, (e.g. keyrings, flashlights, screwdriver bits)
  • unknown or partially complete tools of marginal utility (e.g., partially milled or turned materials, mystery metals, incomplete projects)
The purpose of participation is to put effort and thought into your contribution to the box. The items listed above are examples of things that most of absentmindedly lose, throw out, or can run to the hardware store for when it is really needed. The more participants we have, the higher the risk of low quality, high volume items in the box. A good principle is to start thinking less is more when it comes to the quality of the game.

3) The packaging condition of the box contents is declining. This is simply a function of how the box contents are packed and cared for. The rule of thumb here is that if its worth putting in the box, its worth packing well. Loose carbide bits will chip, end mills are gouged, instrument faces are getting shattered, points dulled, indicators bent. It may be that the flashlight was really nice when it went in the box, but it was destroyed when it made it to the next destination. On the topic of packaging, I ask that we all do the following:
  • generally speaking, nothing should be loose and unwrapped in the box and causing damage,
  • for carbide bits or hss steel, please package so that the bits are not damaged during transit. It may not be enough to bag them,
  • for any loose endmills, drills, reamers, please protect the cutting edges and wrap in foam or paper,
  • for any instruments with delicate parts, glass faces or otherwise shouldn't be tossed around, please protect in a small box or container,
  • please label items that may not be easily identified by novices, e.g., carbide bit designations.
Finally, participation in the PAB is meant to be unique and special for members when they open the box and when they are closing it up. I don't think there is much like this happening in our little world, so I am asking for everybody's help in making this as uniquely special as it is meant to be.

Thanks for your time to read through this. I ask that people do not fall on a sword, apologize for any examples I listed above, my intention here is not to shame anyone, but to raise awareness on what the intent of the game is all about. I hope you take all of this with that intention in mind.

Feel free to PM me on the topic as well.

@ivel03 - shot you a note, but its on its way.

I grabbed a couple drills, 1/2" tap, a few 1/2"SS set screws, contact cleaner, and a couple stickers (stickers is a neat idea - haven't seen that in the PAB before)

1706973668029.png

Box came in to me at about 35lbs, its now 28lbs. Leaner and meaner!

[Edit] - Oops! Forgot to include a Kant Twist handle I grabbed at the last minute when repacking

Hey Everybody! Please take the time to read through this post when you have a minute. The purpose of this message is to reflect on our progress and to clarify the intentions of the rules and game itself.

This year we have tried a couple of new things with PAB. First, we have opened up the list to a lot more participants than past years. I think this was the right move and hasn't seemed to backfire on us. Everyone has been keeping the box moving along nicely, with few delays. (Now if we could just get those pesky mail carriers to run with the box a little faster...) We also have decided to keep the box moving perpetually, a rolling list of participants if you will. I think the jury is out on whether this worked to our advantage or not and we may decide to move in a different direction in the near future.

In the meantime, there are three things I want to share with you and ask that you consider to ensure the continued success of the Pass Around Box.

1) The box may be lacking in structural integrity and maintenance. This begs two questions: a) should it come back to a home base for repairs and b) is the box to big for its britches? One suggestion made earlier in its current journey was to break the box up into smaller themed boxes for members to pass around. I am looking for volunteers in this group to explore and brainstorm a little more on this. I think it is a worthy idea of seeing through and may prove to be of big benefit to our members here. Let me know if you are interested through PM.

2) The quality of the box contents is reported to be declining. I have received private messages from members, new and old to PAB, that perhaps the box is becoming a mobile junk drawer. I would like to remind all of us here that the idea of the Pass Around Box is to provide quality items of utility to a hobby machinist. That is NOT to be read as "new" or "expensive". Nor am I trying to disparage items placed in the box. I won't post pictures with the intent to single out members, however, the following examples may serve to illustrate the point:
  • random hardware (e.g., unlabeled or unorganized screws, washers, nuts)
  • dull, chipped, or reground tooling that doesn't appear to be salvageable by a hobby machinist
  • cheap throw away tools and trinkets, (e.g. keyrings, flashlights, screwdriver bits)
  • unknown or partially complete tools of marginal utility (e.g., partially milled or turned materials, mystery metals, incomplete projects)
The purpose of participation is to put effort and thought into your contribution to the box. The items listed above are examples of things that most of absentmindedly lose, throw out, or can run to the hardware store for when it is really needed. The more participants we have, the higher the risk of low quality, high volume items in the box. A good principle is to start thinking less is more when it comes to the quality of the game.

3) The packaging condition of the box contents is declining. This is simply a function of how the box contents are packed and cared for. The rule of thumb here is that if its worth putting in the box, its worth packing well. Loose carbide bits will chip, end mills are gouged, instrument faces are getting shattered, points dulled, indicators bent. It may be that the flashlight was really nice when it went in the box, but it was destroyed when it made it to the next destination. On the topic of packaging, I ask that we all do the following:
  • generally speaking, nothing should be loose and unwrapped in the box and causing damage,
  • for carbide bits or hss steel, please package so that the bits are not damaged during transit. It may not be enough to bag them,
  • for any loose endmills, drills, reamers, please protect the cutting edges and wrap in foam or paper,
  • for any instruments with delicate parts, glass faces or otherwise shouldn't be tossed around, please protect in a small box or container,
  • please label items that may not be easily identified by novices, e.g., carbide bit designations.
Finally, participation in the PAB is meant to be unique and special for members when they open the box and when they are closing it up. I don't think there is much like this happening in our little world, so I am asking for everybody's help in making this as uniquely special as it is meant to be.

Thanks for your time to read through this. I ask that people do not fall on a sword, apologize for any examples I listed above, my intention here is not to shame anyone, but to raise awareness on what the intent of the game is all about. I hope you take all of this with that intention in mind.

Feel free to PM me on the topic as well.
I agree with all of this except the idea of breaking the PAB into smaller themed boxes. I think it already seems enough to manage and keep track of just the one box. Also, the nature of the "Game" it is to discover random items of interest, not "shop" to for specific items.

The box could use some repairs, I noticed there was a crack forming in one of the corners, but it was after I had packed it back up, if it's still there when I get it the next time, I can TIG it, though I'm not a pro. I also feel the PAB is a very tight fit in the flat rate box, maybe due to it being slightly bulged out from being knocked around with heavy contents? If it is ever remade or modified, I suggest it be slightly smaller even -0.10" XYZ would help.

+1 for keeping a single big box. I find it interesting to see items that are a little off the wall from my normal.

I saw the pics of the cracked corner a while back. It was not cracked when it was last by me, at least not that I noticed. I was thinking that a good size fillet weld on the inside would help a lot to strengthen the corners.

I was guilty of stalling the box for a bit while I ordered parts and made some repairs.

As far as the fit in the flat rate box, there is a good tolerance on the actual size of those boxes, I have had some that were real loose and others that there was no way it was going in there. When it did not fit the next box on the pile fit fine. I always grab a few boxes at a time when I go to the post office. Most of the boxes fit fine.

Last edited:
I think right might be better than under sized. A hammer can coax it back to size.

@ivel03 - shot you a note, but its on its way.

I grabbed a couple drills, 1/2" tap, a few 1/2"SS set screws, contact cleaner, and a couple stickers (stickers is a neat idea - haven't seen that in the PAB before)

View attachment 476707

Box came in to me at about 35lbs, its now 28lbs. Leaner and meaner!

[Edit] - Oops! Forgot to include a Kant Twist handle I grabbed at the last minute when repacking
What is in the little red sleeve? I can't make it out. I like the stickers!

Should a new PAB ever materialize, making each dimension .1" smaller than the advertised capacity of the MFRB is an excellent idea.
The FRBs are manufactured to a tolerance which doesn't always seem to turn out large (to our advantage).
The bulging sides, caused by heavy items poorly packaged, exacerbate the issue. No point in discussing that one.
The reduction in volume would have negligible effect on enclosing your wonderous treasures, but will greatly simplify the re-boxing.
On 2 or 3 occasions I have resorted to opening the seam on the FRB, wrapping it around the PAB and regluing the seam in situ.
Those opinions are based my experience of resending the current box 4 or 5 times.
The previous (aluminum panels w/steel frame, IIRC) PAB had the equivalent problem, which I corrected during a repair session.

I'm guilty of leaving loose pop rivets in there. I did it to be helpful (people like pop rivets) and as a little humor as every backyard mechanic has loose pop rivets in their toolbox.
I can't remember if I put the set screws in a bag or not.

Back