2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice job on the vise dan. Disassemble and do the same in vinegar you will be impressed what a gallon of vinegar can do.

Cadillac, it is definitely a nice vise. It was stuck but only took a little work with WD40 to free it up. The only bad part of the vise is that 3 of the 4 mounting ears are broken so I need to find a new one

55$ worth of hammers off CL's. Left to right heads down: solid copper, solid brass, ball peen where what I was looking for and bought the others just because of the low price.

The little short handle square hammer came in handy yesterday.
20181117_171814.jpg

Picked up a free beseler model 1812 shrink wrappings system with broken belt..heavy as hell.variable speed.oven..should be lots of good parts for making something else..

Went back to my honey hole today and picked up a bunch of stuff...gear rack, assorted files, assorted collets, a huge Simplex machinist jack from the tool room at Bethlehem Steel, two sets of NOS replacement pistone for old flathead engines, a JH Williams machinist clamp, various pieces of stainless and aluminum scrap, assorted machine handles and a Craftsman multi groove pulley. I will be going back again soon for more. Much of this will be posted for sale soon.

Sold some Erector sets and parts on eBay, so had some money burning a hole in my pocket. Time for some early Christmas shopping for me! Picked up a couple of keyless chucks (1/32” – ½”) with 3MT arbors from All Industrial Tool. These should speed up tool changes when swapping between center drills, drills and countersinks for some of my projects. There were around $23 each shipped.

20181117_092257.jpg

Some of my projects require relatively precise hole punching in sheet metal. I typically make a guide block out of CRS or aluminum and oversize ream the holes for transfer punching to the blanks. My transfer punch sets purchased 30 years ago is missing a few, so got another import set off eBay. Paid about $12 including shipping.

20181117_092401.jpg

Picked up an RPM meter/gauge for checking spindle speeds. Not sure how it works inside, but you put one of the end-effectors on the spindle you want to measure and push a button. The RPM needle starts moving up the scale and stops after a few seconds, then read the number. I know, ancient technology when Hall Effect sensors and read outs give instantaneous RPM’s for under $15. Got this one off eBay for $15 including shipping.

20181117_100226.jpg

Picked up an incomplete set of counter bores made by 21st Century Manufacturing. Think they’ll be pretty good, company’s web site is www.reamer.com. I was a bit surprised to see they’re based out of South Dakota; I would not have expected a lot of manufacturing from that region. I’ll probably replace the missing ones with imports. I typed www.reamer.com into my browser but was redirected to www.alvordpok.com in PA. Looks like the missing counter bores would cost more each than I paid for this set ($30).

20181117_100312.jpg20181117_100317.jpg

Real impulse buy off eBay. Picked up a Quill Master for $200 delivered off eBay. These also had a small right angle attachment available (QRA) that unfortunately the seller didn’t have. Don’t have a use for it right now, so it’ll go on the shelf until the need arises. From what I’ve read these are used for small end mill work; has built in 50% speed increase to get the small end mills up to smoking hot RPM’s. I’m always up for another project, see the QRA attachments going for $300 - $750 on eBay. They never sell at that price, but that’s what seller’s ask. So, if the need arises, I’ll probably adapt a Dremel right angle attachment. This one came with a 3/16” collet. I believe I read someplace they had a 1/8” collet too. Might be a POTD to make a 1/8” collet, I have a lot of 1/8” shank end mills.

20181123_151951.jpg20181123_152001.jpg20181123_152012.jpg

Lastly (for now . . .) is a Thermolyne 2025 muffle furnace. This one takes 110V, heats up to 2000 F which can be maintained for 3 hours or 1800 F indefinitely. The furnace chamber is about 4” x 4” x 9” deep. I make a half-dozen or so punches and dies a year and flame hardened with an oxyacetylene torch, then temper with a Thermolyne hot plate. Paid $200 from a CL listing for this one. I’m curious how accurate the temp dial is on the front. Most of the Thermolyne furnaces have a temp gauge and a separate pot for adjusting the temperature. I bought this one because they’re graduated together. I haven’t taken it up to 1500 F for hardening of tool steel, but noted it took about 15 minutes to get up to 500 F. The chamber is a bit small, so no Bowie knife jobs with this one. Probably another retirement project in a few years to make a larger furnace, there are a couple of really good threads here from members building their own.

20181124_145833.jpg
20181124_145853.jpg

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back