2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been infected with Tool Fever from reading too many DarkZero posts. Didn't realise you could catch it over the internet even though I am far away in Australia until it was too late.
Started with Noga's and now incurable.
Any way my latest purchases have been some Reilang oilers- very nice kit
Bought two types IMG_4134.JPG

The nozzle type fits all the the different sized ball oilers on my lathe and mill- {there are several sizes} and depresses the ball to let in oil with minimum leakage. The pump has sufficient pressure to force oil into even the most resistant oilers on my lathe.
Why are some oilers more difficult to inject oil than others?

The oiler with the brush is great for flat surfaces, tailstock ways etc where oil is harder to evenly distribute. Have been fiddling with Knurlers recently and noticed that some of my stored wheels were showing spots of rust. No problem the brush placed a thin even coating of oil over all the fine teeth.
I think the best part is that the oilers work in most orientations and DO NOT leak even when tipped over or inverted.

Purchased from Jens Putzier Tools in Germany. Excellent service , fast shipping and when I had a problem with one of the first ones shipped was replaced promptly without a quibble. Wish all dealers provided such excellent service. Highly recommended

Been infected with Tool Fever from reading too many DarkZero posts. Didn't realise you could catch it over the internet even though I am far away in Australia until it was too late.

It is very contagious. :grin: Nice score!

LMAO!! Huh, what did I do, I don't know noting! :)

Today I got a really clean pair of Mitutoyo 18" vernier calipers with wooden case.

Img_2088.jpg

Here it is next to a 12" & a 6".
Img_2093.jpg

Did not buy it, but rather traded for it. It was in a local listing, cash or trade, called the seller whether he will entertain trade for a S&W Model 19 blued 6 inch barrel. He agreed to look at the model 19, it just so happened we were on the way out of town the following day and did not have time to meet up. Called on one of my shooting buddies to handle the transaction for me, told him I trust his judgment. I got these pictures in the email while I was out of town. Just back in town and still have not seen it.

I bought the model 19 used from a police supplier house, it was a trade in. I paid 275 for it out the door, not a lot for a used revolver. Money wise, looking at the trade we're probably even, both parties are happy, the key elament of a good deal. I've been wanting a Wilton vise, but never could force myself to buy a new one, and the model 19 is just one of the collection that I never used since I bought it. I am sure I will put this vise to work.

My buddy called when he picked it up, saying the vise is almost brand new and judging it by the pictures I received, it does look new.
20170315_154850.jpg 2017031595154903.jpg 2017031595154819.jpg 20170315_154917.jpg

My Knipex parallel jaw wrench arrived. Saw a pair of these in a YouTube machining video and thought they looked good. Did a bit of searching on the internet and the reviews were all outstanding, everyone that tried then loved them so I though I had better give them a go.
IMG_3503.JPG
These are the 300mm size pair.

Interesting design, they look pretty versatile. Mike

Yes, sort of half way between an adjustable spanner and a pipe wrench. The jaws move parallel and are smooth so non marking. And the cam design allows a huge amount of force to be exerted (at the expense of only having a small range of jaw travel at each setting). Can open up to over 60mm though.

I tried that once, unfortunately it didn't work for me though. The MT5 center stuck out too much so my drive dogs wouldn't reach my faceplate. I didn't want to go through the hassle of modifying all my dogs so I just went back to using the sleeve & a MT3.

My MT5 that stuck out too much.
Img_6714.jpg

With the MT3.
Img_6719-1.jpg

Damn I miss Enco, when I was buying new centers, I was cheap & went with the less expensive import brand instead of the USA made. To my surprise their imports were Bison! Yeah technically import but I was expecting PhaseII or something.

Img_6694.jpg
Yep, to big.

Not me, but my son. He's 20 years old and recently told me he wanted to put together a box of his own tools so that
he can work on his car. He's a student and doesn't have much money, so I suggested the local pawn shop. He got a good
start: with a couple of exceptions all older USA made tools for 3 bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back