2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Oh Oh Will
Is that another new Noga to go with your new Mitu?
Cant have too many Noga's or Mitu's.
By the way I took your lead and ended up with two new Mitutoyo Quantum Mikes. I couldnt believe how silky smooth and reproducible they are. Even with the rapid travel they give the same reading every time.
Ron

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

I've had one of those Mitotoyu 360 indicators for maybe 25 years, it's just short of indispensable. On the other hand, it's almost twice as heavy as my go-to Federal TestMasters, so it stays in the box until needed.

Will
Have you noticed that with the Quantumikes in imperial mode,the part you have just made is always the wrong size. Switch them to metric (their native language) then the part is always exactly the right size. He He
Ron

I love my Quantumikes, have a 0-1 and 1-2.

I got them on one of those great Enco 25% off with free shipping deals. Man do I miss Enco.

Will
Have you noticed that with the Quantumikes in imperial mode,the part you have just made is always the wrong size. Switch them to metric (their native language) then the part is always exactly the right size. He He
Ron

Haha, I have no idea what you are talking about! ;)

But seriously, I have noticed that with digitals they are slightly more accurate in metric mode because of which, well for Mitutoyos anyway. I don't own anything else in digital other than Mitu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back