2017 POTD Thread Archive

Absolutely beautiful! What did you finish the surfaces with? Wow

Absolutely beautiful! What did you finish the surfaces with? Wow

Thanks for the kind words. The metal is just sanded to 360 and then buffed with a grey pad. I put a coat of Boeshield T9 on afterwards in an effort to hold off oxidation, at least for a while. Don't know if it works or not, but it's easy.

The wood for the base is just a satin varnish, and the column I finished with blonde shellac.

-frank

Well, time for another treadle engine. I finished this one off this afternoon. I've always liked the looks of those great beam engines from the industrial revolution, so they inspired the design of this one.

It's not a bad runner -- not a screaming race horse by any means -- but smoother than my last one.
Aluminum, steel, leaded brass, and an ironwood column on bigleaf maple base.

And as always, thanks for looking.

-frank

View attachment 234362 View attachment 234361 View attachment 234360

Wow! That is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, time for another treadle engine. I finished this one off this afternoon. I've always liked the looks of those great beam engines from the industrial revolution, so they inspired the design of this one.

It's not a bad runner -- not a screaming race horse by any means -- but smoother than my last one.
Aluminum, steel, leaded brass, and an ironwood column on bigleaf maple base.

And as always, thanks for looking.

-frank

View attachment 234362 View attachment 234361 View attachment 234360
OK, gotta ask . . . Do you drive the engine by hand by pushing down on the brass pad on the right? Just curious, I didn't see any piston are anything driving the engine. Beautiful work by the way. Real testament to attention to details.

Bruce

OK, gotta ask . . . Do you drive the engine by hand by pushing down on the brass pad on the right? Just curious, I didn't see any piston are anything driving the engine. Beautiful work by the way. Real testament to attention to details.

Bruce

Yes exactly. It's "powered" entirely by finger -- hence the alternate "finger engine" name. As long as you can get it turning and maintain that rhythm, it runs. Like a treadle sewing machine.

-frank

Back