2017 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks guys
I can't take full credit as I saw one like it on google.
Now I need to surface my layout plate.
Ray

Don't have the tool you need? Make it! I am a photographer ("Online Media Manager") for a car dealership by day. But today I was asked to make video content for a project for the sales manager. I don't have much video gear, but I have a camera that produces gorgeous video (Panasonic Lumix LX100), and I know how to make a basic camera stabilizer. A couple bucks for some 1/4"-20 hardware from Home Depot across the street (pains me to buy that when I have plenty at home, but I didn't have any warning), a scrap piece of gas pipe I found on the ground this morning (cut to length with my cordless angle grinder that happened to be in the car already), and a random broken car part from the scrap bin in the service department to serve as a counterweight, and now I have a makeshift camera stabilizer. Took maybe 20 minutes to throw together and got the job done. Since this is going to be a regular thing now I'll probably make a proper gimbal stabilizer in my shop. I'm thinking brass and blued tool steel, Clickspring style. :)

IMG_20170315_170559_341.jpg

I hate trying to make things when I don't have my tools, but at least I got to spend some time doing something interesting at work for a change.

I'm going to have to copy the concept if I start using my camera's video capabilities. Thanks for posting.

Pretty simple concept. Just a counterweight, ideally close to the same weight as the camera (in this case it was a bit heavier, but still worked fine). You can "tune" the behavior by adjusting how far the weight is from the camera. It just slows the movements by increasing the moment of inertia so your moves are smoother.

Back