2017 POTD Thread Archive

Dan
Sounds like you tap things just like I do, hand on the chuck. Just curious, but what kind of a pro-amplifier
is this plate for? Not for my sound system, that I know. Ham?? Love to see the rest of it when you get
it done, (and in between too). Neat job!

I power tapped these with a keyless chuck, but it was still a laborious task.

1. chuck up a spot drill and spot drill a hole since i don't have any stub length drills.
  2. swap to a regular drill bit and then drill the through hole.
  3. swap to the chamfering bit, and chamfer the hole (helps guide the tap)
  4. swap the tap ( spiral flute bottoming) and power tap
Repeat 89 times. Not to mention I had to make two, because 3/4ths of the way through the 1st one I drilled and tapped holes that i shouldn't have. :bawling:

It's for this pre-amp that I use to get better audio into my camera. I'll post a video in a few days when i get done editing it.
https://www.saramonicusa.com/products/sr-pax2

IMG_20170913_224328.jpg

Not a hand held camera, huh? Thats a pretty cool setup. So far I've managed to stay away from making movies (except for a few iPhone videos). The only photography
other than pictures of the grand kids and last years vacation etc. I'm just toying around with loooooooong exposures of astronomical objects. That is complex enough
for me or should I say that is already too complex for me. Is this just a hobby? or something less rewarding like a job?
I've finally figured out that the drilling and tapping gets a lot easier with even a small mill with digital x,y indicators. After laying out what you are going to do in CAD drill all the holes of size A
then all the holes of size b etc. then go back and tap all holes required of each size using the mills power. You want to have a reverse mode to back the taps out.
Much easier on the hands than the drill press method, and a lot fewer tool changes too. I'll be interested to see and hear a video when you get one made. Best of luck.

Is this just a hobby? or something less rewarding like a job?

It's just a hobby, that compliments my woodworking and machining hobbies, thought my wife keeps tying to volunteer me for taking photos for peoples events.

Got to run the 17" Clausing Colchester at work today . Needed a large shaft turned down for an installation of a inline stitching machine on Monday . Nothing hard about the job , but I consider it a vacation day for me letting the machine do the work ! The other lathe is a Clausing Nardini 20"x 120" . Never even been fired up in 15 years from what I hear . It's only me left down here so maybe when we shut down , these pieces will follow me home . :encourage: Have a great weekend .

Never even been fired up in 15 years from what I hear . It's only me left down here so maybe when we shut down , these pieces will follow me home .

I sure hope they do. They deserve to go to someone that appreciates them.
-brino

Pretty big lathes but I'm positive I could squeeze them into the garage somehow . :) I don't get to machine much these days other than "G" jobs for myself , So when I'm getting payed to do it for the company , it's a good day !! I'm usually 15 foot up on ladder or scissor lift wrenching bolts or crawling into the presses trying to find troubles . Today , I'll take the money and run !

Yesterday's POTD was welding equipment maintenance day since the powder coating wasn't ready until after 13:30. I also built two ground, stinger and power cord hooks for the MIG welders. Rolled a couple of rings from 1/2" square tubing that slip over the cylinder valve and bent up some 1/8 x 1" flat strap for hooks.
They support the cables nicely
IMG_1553.JPG
Vacuumed and blew out the inside of the 350P, then put a fresh coat of wax on both machines.
IMG_1520.JPG IMG_1521.JPG
This was the load at the powder coater prior to driving home in crazy rush hour traffic on a Friday. The toe plates where in the truck bed.
IMG_1524.JPG
Spent the rest of Friday setting up for assembly for first thing Saturday. Called it around 7 pm.
IMG_1525.JPG
Today's POTD was assembly and crating. I had Mrs. firestopper working along side all day. She's a trooper and gave me a solid 10 hours with a short lunch break.
We started with the two crates (8 units) headed for Hawaii on Monday and kept going with the rest of the inventory.
IMG_1547.JPG
Here's some details of the assembly. The carefree tires are held on with press nuts and a custom tool was made some years back making it quick and easy.
1" aluminum round stock counter bored to hold a press nut. The shaft was knurled for sweaty hands. Two blows with a hard mallet does the trick.
IMG_1531.JPG
The wheels are offset making it difficult without the tool.
IMG_1533.JPG
The push pin for the telescoping toe plate is stainless steel and has a stainless insert to prevent the button from caving in or shearing in the event of over zealous pull. These are handy for many telescoping applications.
IMG_1536.JPG
Installed they sit flat inside the tubing. Any burr from drilling must be removed for this to work reliably as well as the main frame indexing holes. A Zit-Burr tool is chased in as a second operation following the drilling process.
IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1535.JPG
A quick operational check of the telescoping feature, then the labels go on, followed by two seat belts and the handle bars.
IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1538.JPG
The pallets secure the fist litter in all directions, the rest stack in a married fashion then banded together then to the pallet.
IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
After ten hours we had completed 28 units secured to pallets and some crated.
IMG_1549.JPG
This is whats left of the pile.
IMG_1551.JPG IMG_1552.JPG
Might take the day off tomorrow and rest as the past 17 days have been a blur.
Thanks for looking.
Turn and Burn!
Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
Paco,

You WAX your welders? :eek: :eek: :eek: :grin:

Are those "push pins" commercially available (mfg. name/source?) ? I've never seen them in a catalog (only in products).

PS: Nice work!

Awesome work Paco

Working on making a plate for the rotary table to hold an 8" 3 jaw chuck. I was reading here a thread on rotary tables and chucks, the main issue is weight. I have a phase 2 rt, and a 6" chuck, while it is heavy, it is dramatically lighter than it would be with the 8" chuck. But my 8" chuck is far better quality, than the 6", it holds parts much better, the jaws are 2 piece and reversible, so it would make using it in the mill much better. A suggestion made in a thread here on this forum (I think it was darkzero), was using the chuck mounted to a plate separate from the rotary table... but allow it to be easily mounted to the rt and be used that way also...

So long story short, I needed to make a mt2 arbor and have a .785 nib on the end to fit into my chuck plate... fast forward again, I needed to make a dial indicator holder for my lathe tool post in order to make the part. So...

After many starts and stops, dial indicator holder made from a strip of tee nuts I made a while back I had laying around, and just some crs turned down, milled a bit, and tapped, and drilled :boxing:
20170917_011349.jpg

20170917_011402.jpg

Rich

Back