2017 POTD Thread Archive

IMG_0227-M.jpg

These were in a box of tools I got a while ago. Missing two crucial parts.

IMG_0228-M.jpg

IMG_0229-M.jpg

IMG_0232-M.jpg

I made a new pivot bobbin from some random 10mm rod.
Then cut a 25mm length of 30mm diameter from an old shaft.
Drilled and bored it into a 1.7mm thick ring, then hacksawed and filed the sides to shape, drilled 2 x 4.5mm holes and cut a slot 13mm wide for locating on the arms and reassembled them.
The slot could have been a couple mm narrower make it a bit more "springy", but they are stiff enough to use.

pete

Last edited:
IMG_0227-M.jpg

These were in a box of tools I got a while ago. Missing two crucial parts.

IMG_0228-M.jpg

IMG_0229-M.jpg

IMG_0232-M.jpg

I made a new pivot bobbin from some random 10mm rod.
Then cut a 25mm length of 30mm diameter from an old shaft.
Drilled and bored it into a 1.7mm thick ring, then hacksawed and filed the sides to shape, drilled 2 x 4.5mm holes and cut a slot 13mm wide for locating on the arms and reassembled them.
The slot could have been a couple mm narrower make it a bit more "springy", but they are stiff enough to use.

pete
You have perfect timing, I have a pair of dividers that need the same ring and I didn't know what to do with them, Now I do. Nice Job!, Thanks for posting. Bill

Well, I went 1 for 2 in the shop today.

First, I made a new bracket for one of my mowers that is adjustable rather than fixed. The cable it holds activates the kill switch on the motor (when you release the handle it attaches to, it both kills the ignition and applies a brake pad to the flywheel). Over time, the cable stretches, and now it doesn't pull far enough to release the kill switch). Since a new cable costs about $30 each, and overall, the existing cable is fine except it's a little too long, I figured this would make it last a lot longer.

Original bracket:
IMG_0918.jpg
New adjustable bracket:
IMG_0919.jpg

Success!

Then I decided to fix the mobile seat I have. It's not the easiest thing to balance on anymore when it's like this:
IMG_0920.jpg

So, I take it mostly apart, grind/wirebrush the broken weld areas, weld it together and get this again:
IMG_0921.jpg

Unfortunately, I failed to remove the hydraulic shaft from that little head (the black part at the top of the shaft in the first picture), and when I welded the seat to the head, I melted part of that hydraulic control mechanism, so now the seat always sinks to the lowest point, making it a little dangerous to use (the seat always fully extends, then when you sit on it, it fully retracts).
IMG_0922.jpg
Doh. Time for a new one...

Dave_r_1,
The hydraulic adjuster on my desk chair started leaking down as you sat in it. I think it is about the same set-up as your stool. I took the hydraulic (really air/spring I think) cylinder out and dropped in a piece of pipe about the same size, cut to the length that gave me the desired chair height. It is now non-adjustable but a lot cheaper than a new one, and I doubt the pipe will wear out again!

Back