2 way 5" Tilting & Swiveling Angle Machinist Vise

I bought a cheap (maybe $70) tilt vise. It is pathetic. I have never used it, although I spent a few hours working on it. It’s not square in any dimension and the tilt lock is laughable.

All the work we do to get Rigidity in our Mill seems contrary to any of the tilt/swivel vises I have seen.

Can someone please share how important to own a 2 way Tilting & Swiveling Angle Machinist Vise? It looks very useful, but I don't want another toy not used much. Maybe save the money for a rotary table, although it can't tilt.
I have a tri vise by Simco, tilts and dual swivel, it locks down well but it does add a lot of height and is no way as ridgid as the 6" Kurt with angle blocks . Also it is a lot more work with the manipulations needed to get extra support, clamps and hold downs. at times when I got the work piece ridgid enough to do milling there wasn't much access room for the operation.

I have a tri vise by Simco, tilts and dual swivel, it locks down well but it does add a lot of height and is no way as ridgid as the 6" Kurt with angle blocks . Also it is a lot more work with the manipulations needed to get extra support, clamps and hold downs. at times when I got the work piece ridgid enough to do milling there wasn't much access room for the operation.
Simco TriVise: Does it look like this? This one is well made, robust and not branded (love to find out what make it is). David

Attachments

• DSC02246.JPG
    DSC02246.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
All the work we do to get Rigidity in our Mill seems contrary to any of the tilt/swivel vises I have seen.

That was certainly true for the cheap tilt vise...however, the swivel base sold with Kurt and other vises, and in my case with a not very expensive 6" mill vise, has been rock solid and accurate. It can be bolted down very securely, and with the vise off it can be indicated for perpendicularity with the spindle axis, as a check. Sweeping around the diameter, which is what, maybe 8", It does not move a 0.001 indicator needle.

Those vises seem like toys.

I have a 10" rotary table on my mill with the vise on top most of the time.
When I need something like OP, I mount the vertical rotary table on the Horizontal RT, and put the vise on it.
I have "dozen" second resolution at that point in both rotating directions,
With far greater rigidity.

I think you'd be better off using a sine bar for angles, and a rotary table. I have a cheapy that came with my mill, used it once, not very accurate and hard to tighten

I recently bought some tools at an estate sale. I included this 3-way tilting vise because it seemed neat and is a reputable brand. I can't say I expect to use it much but thought you might enjoy seeing it:
CZGWsLL.jpg

I recently bought some tools at an estate sale. I included this 3-way tilting vise because it seemed neat and is a reputable brand. I can't say I expect to use it much but thought you might enjoy seeing it:

Once upon a time, Wilton actually made their super-precision vises in the US and they were really good. Quality of machining and construction was top notch. Now these are made by Groz in India. These are good for light work and can be very convenient and fast to set up but they are not all that rigid.

I don't own one of these but I know someone who does and he likes it except that it takes up a lot of room in Z.

I use a Yuasa tilting angle table with a screwless vise on top. It isn't as fast to set up but it is far more rigid for my purposes.

Back