2 Tire pressure gauges failed in the last couple of months.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I have had 2 pressure gauges fail in the last few months. Mine, which was a super high quality unit from the 60s, and has been rock solid, and another older but not as old unit. Mine weighed a lot, solid ..
both started reading all over the place. and I couldn't trust them.

These were not cheapies. No green gunk was added to the tires. My wifes tire has 2 holes that I plugged. one is on the edge of the sidewall and tread, I keep plugging it, the plugs keep working their way out. I don't want to buy tires yet, looking to wear them out.. Tires are ridiculously expensive right now.

Why would both tire gauges fail?

You found out the reason tire why shops will not plug on the shoulder, if they still plug at all. If that one is repairable, it would have to be an inside plug patch. The gauges must have just quit coincidentally I would say, and the new ones suck....

I know that it needed a patch. Around here I brought it for a patch, no one patches. And one tire shop doesn't repair at all, just new tires...
I knew the plug was questionable, but at the price of tires, I intend to get the most out of this. I figure what the hey. My last plug lasted 3 months, this plug, days. I'll try again, this time I'll get some rubber cement to see if that helps hold it.

I second that. A blowout at speed is nothing to be trifled with. It can kill. If you can breakdown the tire, you could patch it from the inside. Plugs are ok for treads, or at least they were considered to be ok. Sidewalls should not be plugged, there's practically nothing there. Patch to get by, but don't trust it for the highway - I wouldn't. Tire with sidewall issues should be replaced.

And yea, having to buy four tires stinks these days...

Sidewalls have way too much flex as the tire rolls down the road. Totally high stress area! That is the major reason we don't repair that type of puncture. I would really doubt a patch would hold for a longer time. Check around local wreakers might find something there. They are being picked over as well but the inventory changes hourly/dayly.

Some of the older gauges could be opened up and cleaned, then returned to service.

Must be that new type of air I've been hearing so much about. Everybody says the air isn't clean like the old stuff was. Others say it costs more to compress. I don't know what to think about all that.

These days, nobody wants the liability of putting a patch (or plug...) on a tire and taking responsibility in court for a fatal blowout. Patches and plugs work and can be safe to use, so long as you know when it's not safe and listen to reason. Corners are the part that hits the curb or road furniture first when a driver is reading his personal feed on his phone instead of driving. Front tire failures are the killers, too, so move those tires to the back. I'm sure you know all this. One good, solid reason to take risks here is when you've set up a strong life insurance policy on your spouse... so I heard.

I guess you need that green air in the tire with the green valve stem covers Jeff . ;)

Back