2 questions about a J head Bridgeport

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Am I just imaging things or didn't someone use to sell like a nylon or rubber cover that covered the whole depth of a 9x42" milling table and like ya just trim it to fit around your vice ,etc? I guess it had 2 protrusions
on one side that snapped into the T slots

Also, Isn't the quill supposed to automatically quit feeding after it touches the quill lock nuts?

I made the covers your referring to with 3/16 material and (2) 1/2 square pcs of wood on the underside to fit the T slots. Just cut around for the vise. I'll put up a pic tomorrow. The quill is supposed to release when your feeding automatically. At least mine does anyway.

I have also seen vinyl soffit either vented of non vented used

You can use anything you want or have lying around. I'm gonna use some aluminum diamond plate strips I have . I'd say bling but it's old banged up stuff from other jobs.

Those trays are pretty cheap! I remember Enco used to sell similar looking ones for $30- $40.

I have T-slot covers like the ones in the second link made by Vertex. One of our late moderators asked me if I was interested in a group buy. I passed as I didn't think they would be useful. Yrs later I changed my mind & ended getting them. I actually like them a lot now. I cut them into 3 sections for each slot. That allows me to still use them when I'm not using the vise which is often. I sure don't miss cleaning out T-slots.

Full table covers would be limited to just vise use unless you make more. But they're cheap & can be made out of most anything laying around. I would think plastic or rubber may get hot chips embedded though.

I got a set of the ones in the first link. Fit well and snap in to the slots to keep from moving. Full cover is nice instead of slot covers because it protects the surfaces. It does limit the vise to middle but they are easily removed if needed. When I got mine someone wrote in hand writing on the paperwork "We have A LOT of these." Probably why they are low cost. Maybe group buy could get them down to $6?

EDIT: looking at the ad says they sell by the set or by the 100 sets. So I guess they do have a lot. Got mine a few years ago.

I got a set of the ones in the first link. Fit well and snap in to the slots to keep from moving. Full cover is nice instead of slot covers because it protects the surfaces. It does limit the vise to middle but they are easily removed if needed. When I got mine someone wrote in hand writing on the paperwork "We have A LOT of these." Probably why they are low cost. Maybe group buy could get them down to $6?

EDIT: looking at the ad says they sell by the set or by the 100 sets. So I guess they do have a lot. Got mine a few years ago.

They don't show a pic of the bottom. How do they snap into the t slots? That's most likely what I am looking for (tho the magnetic covers aren't a bad idea either)

I made the covers your referring to with 3/16 material and (2) 1/2 square pcs of wood on the underside to fit the T slots. Just cut around for the vise.

I did the same, used 1/4" luan (I had it lying around) and same with a block to fit the slot. Works great,

Back