2 Machinist boxes to restore

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I was basically forced into clearing out my Dad's shop and dispersing his stuff, I decided to keep quite a bit myself for sentimental reasons. 2 of the crown jewels of my Dad's stuff were 2 machinist boxes one I bought new as my first machinist box a Kennedy that my Dad ended up buying at a garage sale years later, he recently did a rattle can paint job on it, the second an old Gershner that was given to him by a neighbor with some really old tools in it, it also needs some work but is all original except it's missing the drawer cover/door. I wish I had gotten these with his blessings but I am glad to save them from the other fate had I not stepped in and done what was needed to be done.

machinist boxes (1).JPG machinist boxes (2).JPG machinist boxes (3).JPG machinist boxes (4).JPG machinist boxes (5).JPG machinist boxes (6).JPG machinist boxes (7).JPG machinist boxes (8).JPG machinist boxes (9).JPG machinist boxes (10).JPG machinist boxes (11).JPG

Charley,

I know you'll cherish those things forever! Good job.

Nice Charley. Trivia question for you. What is that center drawer for. Should be some funny answers for tha question but it has only one right one.

"Billy G"

I was basically forced into clearing out my Dad's shop and dispersing his stuff, I decided to keep quite a bit myself for sentimental reasons. 2 of the crown jewels of my Dad's stuff were 2 machinist boxes one I bought new as my first machinist box a Kennedy that my Dad ended up buying at a garage sale years later, he recently did a rattle can paint job on it, the second an old Gershner that was given to him by a neighbor with some really old tools in it, it also needs some work but is all original except it's missing the drawer cover/door. I wish I had gotten these with his blessings but I am glad to save them from the other fate had I not stepped in and done what was needed to be done.

If those old boxes could talk what a tale they could tell.

Nice Charley. Trivia question for you. What is that center drawer for. Should be some funny answers for that question but it has only one right one.

"Billy G"

Beats me! I put in a answer but took it out.

Paul

Last edited:
I'll take a guess and say your Machinery's handbook...

great save on the chest, Charley! it's too bad it had to happen the way it did; hang in there.
Bob

Machineries handbook is the correct answer, it even has a hole in the bottom of that drawer to push it up so you can easily remove it. I will cherish them and pass them along to my grandsons

Back