1955 Atlas Horizontal Milling Machine Model MFC Serial # 011909

I have one of those too! Same cabinet and all. I added a shelf and doors to the cabinet. I have the original vise, drawbar, and outboard overarm support. That extra overarm support really makes a big difference in the rigidity of the machine. Isuggest that you make one for your mill. When those things appear on ebay they run 250 -275!

Same pricing for the original vise. Looking at the pictures, i could not tell if the power feed kick out piece is there or not. That piece is hard to come by. If you dont have that piece, I can take a picture of it for you.
I also have 7/8 and 1" mandrels. The one inch cutters seem to be more plentiful.

The spindle is MT2. I have a mt2 holder for half inch and three quarter slitting saws. They work ok for very light cuts but i use my larger vertical for anything serious.

Dont overlook the fact that the little mill has a back gear. You need a tool (piece of flat stock 50 thou or so thick, ahalf inch wide and about 6 inches long - with a 45 degree bend about 1 inch fom the end) to reach in on the right side of the spindle to pull the pin. You cannot see it easily.

Good luck with the little mill. I love mine

Thanks Earl,
i have one of the Kick out pieces. i have it on the left side of the table.
i'm not going to be climb milling with this machine so a single kick out would probably not be a hindrance.
i only have a 7/8 arbor for the machine, but i'm looking to get a 1" for versatility and ease of finding cutters.
i have a MT2 endmill holder for the machine as well as a MT2 collet set i could use for holding tooling too.
I have tested the back gearing, (thanks for the pin tool suggestion) and have already completed a project.
for those interested click the link below...

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=24312

Thanks Earl for commenting, i'm already having a lot of fun with Gertrude and look forward to making the overarm support.
i'll write that up in another thread...

Thanks for reading.

Climb milling is a no no on this machine. I tried it successfully doin light cuts. Finish was great. A little deeper and wham bam slam! Luckily i didnt break anything. The table jumped all over the place. I am now a beleiver.

I was working at my day job and it hit me!!! You picked the wrong name for the little mill. You should have named her Millie!!!

Very cool machine, with lots of lovely tooling.

O for a world where we have all the time, money and space we need and an inexhaustible supply of fine vintage milling machine at ridiculously low prices!

:))

Very cool machine, with lots of lovely tooling.

O for a world where we have all the time, money and space we need and an inexhaustible supply of fine vintage milling machine at ridiculously low prices!

:))

Don't you think that would be kind of boring?

an inexhaustible supply of old equipment sounds like Valhalla to me,
especially, if the machines all had imperfections and broken parts that required attention in order to operate again!!!

That thing is beautiful!!!

Now that I have a shaper ... I think I just decided what to look for next.:))

Thank you Very Much Mr. Ed!!!!

she purrs like a kitten.
it's a real pleasure to see and hear this lil mill work.
i used it the other day in horizontal mode with and endmill to flatten a angled cast iron surface on my vertical beltsander's rest.
the rest would come out of square when you'd tighten the hold down bolt when setting the rest's angle.
so i made the surface flat and no more problem!!!

thanks for commenting, i'm glad you like my lil Gertrude

John - it wouldn't be boring as long as we *also* had an inexhaustible supply of wine, women, song..... etc....

There you go - a machinist's Valhalla :))

Back