1955 Atlas Horizontal Milling Machine Model MFC Serial # 011909

Mike,

Did the OO tell you why it didn't have the MFC's additional arbor support?

Robert D.

to be honest with you, i did not know it had overarm support until i saw it for the first time in the catalog that came with the mill.
so the question didn't come up due to my ignorance.

from the pictures it looks simple enough to construct.
i haven't really noticed a lot of arbor flex, but then again i'm not taking better than .025" cuts anyway mostly on cast iron and HRS.
i haven't tried to mill any harder materials, i'm sure the overarm support would show it's value better there.

OK. Hopefully your machine still has the modified MFC arbor support that connects the overarm to the arbor. It is different from the one on the earlier machines. I just uploaded a drawing for the auxiliary support bar. It also requires modification to the table front-to-back feed screw, which hopefully your machine still has. See MMB-5 for the differences.

Robert D.

it appears that the mill has the overarm that does bolt to the aux support.
there are 2 5/16" or maybe 3/8" tapped holes in the overarm support for attachment of the aux support.
it looks like it was made for a support, the protrusion of the table feedscrew housing is pretty long, just waiting for an aux support!!
thanks for the PDF!!!

You're welcome. If you find two, I'm looking for one. I have a 12-speed MFA and an MFC parts unit. Which didn't have the aux support bar.

Robert D.

i'll be on the hunt for one, but might try my hand at making a copy from the PDF you posted!!!
but if i should find one you'll be the second to know!
thanks again Robert!!!

That's a very nice machine. I will be taking possession of an identical model this coming week, although mine is on a cart, not a stand. I'll post some photos once I have it at home and figure out exactly what I have with it (or don't have)

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Back