1950s Walker Turner Dill Press Resurrection

Nubble

Registered
Registered
Okay so this is a resurrection of a Walker Turner 1216-42, an older gentleman brought this to me last Monday and I've been slowly taking it apart and trying to clean it up, although the quill has been giving me a very hard time as it was completely seized.
20240402_141450.jpg
20240404_130958.jpg

I absolutely love this art Deco tag
20240404_131335.jpg

This this is what it took to get the quill to move barely half a centimeterafter soaking it in penetrating oil for a week,
20240405_185154.jpg

Here is the is the quill after I finally got it removed
1acce78a-549b-419c-85d0-9443bfb36653.jpg

And here is the quill after I cleaned it up on the bench grinder with a wire wheel
20240405_194542.jpg
20240405_194547.jpg

Then I took it over to the lathe and spun it for a moment while hitting it with a piece of red Scotch-Brite.

Your turning it pretty slow, but it would still be a good idea to have it supported by the tail stock. Looks good though. Mike

Walker Turner made some of the best drill presses out there. They are smoother and tighter than anything they make these days. You should have a real gem when you are finished!

Your turning it pretty slow, but it would still be a good idea to have it supported by the tail stock. Looks good though. Mike
Oh I would have put tailstock support in there but I don't have a live center thats big enough.

Before I jump onto the tangent.... It's not even done yet, and I'm jealous of that drill press already. That's gonna serve you well.

Oh I would have put tailstock support in there but I don't have a live center thats big enough.

If you're doing stuff like that where you know it's not "fine" how it is.... But you're pretty sure it's "fine" just how it is... And you're almost always right... And it's almost always fine...

Stick a piece of bar in the tail stock drill chuck. Or put a live or dead center inside the "hole" even though it's not ever going to touch. Slide the tailstock up close, so that A, something is "inside" the hole to catch it if it falls, and B, a larger portion, the bearing housing on a live center, the drill chuck body, anything larger than the hole is "close". How close? Well how deep are the chuck jaws? Let's say that's one inch "deep" in the lathe chuck jaws. Whatever is "blocking" would be somewhat less than an inch away from the part.

It will not prevent anything from going south, or true up any machine work, but IF, and ONLY if something doesn't work out, the part can not fall. It can't get out of the chuck jaws on one end, and it can't get over the bar, undersized center, whatever is on the other end. You "might" damage (probably scratch) a drill chuck or a center that way, but that's a lot easier to recover from than having a full on collision with the bed ways.

Did I mention I'm a little jealous of that drill press? Even as bad as that pitting looks, there's a lot of bearing surface left. It's gonna come out nice.

Well I finally got the head casting of the drill press to move up and down and side to side a little, hopefully I should have it off either tomorrow or the day after

Just don’t put any part of your body between something falling and the ground….
I should probably thread the other ratchet strap through the main casting of the drill press as well, but when it's finally free it's really only going to swing a bit.

Back